Insufferable bores at the Nation Honey Show

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I am the one who put the programme together perhaps I can come in here.

I had many people at the show who were pleased at what they heard. Since coming home I have had lots of emails and a few phone calls. They have all been positive. The only complaint I had was from someone who sat in a seat on the end of the front row, then said the lectern partly covered his view of the screen.

The main hall was set out with 250 chairs that was based on previous years. It soon became apparent they weren't enough, so I asked for another 50, then another 50, finally another 100. There were 455 seats, yet at one lecture there were still people standing.

It soon became obvious that one or two people felt they had to ask a question at every lecture and it was probably these who are referred to in the earlier posts. The microphones were handled by the stewards and they weren't to know who had asked previous questions.

I accept that some questions were basic or didn't show much understanding of what was said, but it's difficult once someone has asked a question to deal with it. There have been several comments that after Tom Seeley and myself did back to back lectures on the same topic, but from different angles. that some questioners hadn't taken in what I had said, as they were asking questions about varroa, not wild colonies.

I wasn't aware I had the ability to shut people up!

Roger Patterson

As I am the one who put the programme together perhaps I can come in here.

Roger Patterson

I thought it was an excellent programme and if anything rather undersold in the programme descriptions. If some were tempted to ask a lot of questions what can you expect with such a high level of stimulation?
I certainly learnt quite a bit from having a real person up there rather than a dry book or paper.

I thought it was an excellent programme and if anything rather undersold in the programme descriptions. If some were tempted to ask a lot of questions what can you expect with such a high level of stimulation?
I certainly learnt quite a bit from having a real person up there rather than a dry book or paper.

What do you mean by "......undersold in the programme descriptions"? The website, printed schedule or publicity sent to local BKAs?

Do you mean the speakers bios were too brief? I gave them a maximum of 200 words, but many regular speakers have a standard bio.

Local BKAs respond differently to material that is sent out. Some will publish as is, some will ignore it, some will chop it about. I didn't get involved with the publicity, but it would be handy to have something short and punchy that links to somewhere else.

There are three main reasons why people went to the NHS. 1. The competitive element. 2. The trade stands. 3. Lectures and workshops. Publicity has to cover all of them, so making any press releases rather long.

Roger Patterson.

There are three main reasons why people went to the NHS. 1. The competitive element. 2. The trade stands. 3. Lectures and workshops. Publicity has to cover all of them, so making any press releases rather long.

Roger Patterson.

Nothing wrong with making press releases lengthy, surely.

I think most people addicted to beekeeping have sufficient attention span to read right through.
Looking at some beekeeping threads it’s evident that many beginners have never heard of Seeley.

Roger,

The program was excellent, as were the lecture spaces and speakers.

My feedback is that some of people asking questions were attempting to give their own lectures based on their bias rather than merely asking questions. This resulted is less time for the speaker to expand on interesting points.

The NHS this year was great fun.

What do you mean by "......undersold in the programme descriptions"? The website, printed schedule or publicity sent to local BKAs?

Do you mean the speakers bios were too brief? I gave them a maximum of 200 words, but many regular speakers have a standard bio.

Local BKAs respond differently to material that is sent out. Some will publish as is, some will ignore it, some will chop it about. I didn't get involved with the publicity, but it would be handy to have something short and punchy that links to somewhere else.

Roger Patterson.

I mean they delivered better than the words in the literature (as a good thing) ...I agree it is very difficult it is to make good advertising copy that is really concise, has impact, and means a lot to a wide audience.

My feedback is that some of people asking questions were attempting to give their own lectures based on their bias rather than merely asking questions.

Par for the course - you get extra point on your modules for pomposity. It seems to be a prerequisite of being a member :D

I've seen talks at the spring convention ruined by the usual hangers on.

I set and mark module papers. Jbm is possibly not too familiar with the modules. There is no time for pomposity if candidates want to complete the paper. Section A questions requires one word or a short sentence answer. The Section B structured questions only need to be answered using bullet points. Only the section C question requires a short rational essay to demonstrate that they understand the topic and I can tell you that waffling is not rewarded.

I set and mark module papers. Jbm is possibly not too familiar with the modules. There is no time for pomposity if candidates want to complete the paper. Section A questions requires one word or a short sentence answer. The Section B structured questions only need to be answered using bullet points. Only the section C question requires a short rational essay to demonstrate that they understand the topic and I can tell you that waffling is not rewarded.

JBM
One, it seems has to be an NDB before one can go into waffling....not worthy

Nos da

Back