inside my incubator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just had this rack made for the inside of my new incubator. Thought you all would like to see it:nature-smiley-016:
Have you had much success with the incubator for Qcells? I bought one to hatch hens eggs but wasn't brilliant, I put failures down to lack of egg turning and unstable temps but tempted now to use to hatch some queens.
I use an RCOM 20 for hens eggs which is ace but probably too shallow for Qcells.
Cheers
S

Last edited:
Have you had much success with the incubator for Qcells? I bought one to hatch hens eggs but wasn't brilliant, I put failures down to lack of egg turning and unstable temps but tempted now to use to hatch some queens.
I use an RCOM 20 for hens eggs which is ace but probably too shallow for Qcells.
Cheers
S
HI no I've not used one before, always left it to the bees to do the job so this will be my first year using it. I'll let you know how it goes:facts:

I don't know anything about incubators, apologies if this is a daft question, but what's the advantage of an incubator over leaving the cells in a hive to 'ripen'?

I don't know anything about incubators, apologies if this is a daft question, but what's the advantage of an incubator over leaving the cells in a hive to 'ripen'?
It frees up the cell finisher and you can see what hatches out for your final quality check:spy:

One thing that can become important is record keeping, if you have multiple cell bars in the incubator you need to know which are which age if they are going into boxes as ripe queen cells

One thing that can become important is record keeping, if you have multiple cell bars in the incubator you need to know which are which age if they are going into boxes as ripe queen cells
that's sound advise thanks, I think I'll number each cell bar & keep a note book with the incubator:thanks:

Thanks for the info Jean, I have ordered one tonight. Not many orders yet for Nucs and Queens but i bet there will be soon. When beeks can get to their bees to inspect survival numbers.
Bob.

Just wondering if you've used the incubator this year yet? Was it a success? Any comments?

(i did make one but am hatching ducks in it atm)

I've not used mine yet but very soon, bees seem to be doing the job ok for now

I have been using the same incubator as Jean, only on a small scale, 2 queen cells and temp set to 34 C. Collected cells from a hive that had capped cells yesterday and today the first queen emerged. Very happy with the incubactor. Only used as a test run! Waiting for the next one to emerge possibly tomorrow. Reason for using it, I have split an aggressive hive into 3 nucs ready for requeening also using a bought queen. Also filtered off the aggressive followers to make the inspections a little easier.

Latest posts

Back