inside my incubator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I would advise using these is to have two sources of moisture, one in the format of soaked foam under the cellos and another above the bars as the heat source is close to the cell tops and the heat is dry from the bulb, as you know this is from experienc. As I have made one of these into a transport box.

No need to harp on about it Rab. BeeBreeder was only trumpeting his success.

The only thing I would advise using these is to have two sources of moisture, one in the format of soaked foam under the cellos and another above the bars as the heat source is close to the cell tops and the heat is dry from the bulb, as you know this is from experienc. As I have made one of these into a transport box.

Thanks very much. Great advicenot worthy

12v ? Any chance of some furhter details of the conversion Beebreeder ?

Not doubting the basics or people who use this sort of kit in anger. But above the bars and attached to the roof all I can see is a sensor and small circulation fan. The heat source looks more likely to be at the bottom of the box, and probably not a bulb although not clear what it might be on the photos.

A 12v halogen bulb, near to the fan under the roof.

A 12v halogen bulb, near to the fan under the roof.
Should have looked closer. Is a halogen bulb at the top the best way of heating the box? If I was designing from scratch I'd probably try to keep all the wiring out of the lid. Although I appreciate it's a cheap and easily replaced component from any car accessory shop.

Not very keen on the bulb heating method, prefer the wire loop, element.

prefer the wire loop, element.
I'd be looking for something like the 12V silicone heater pads that RS do. Probably cheaper alternatives elsewhere. A bigger area heat source and unlikely to be worried if it got a drop of rain or a fingerprint on it.

I'd be looking for something like the 12V silicone heater pads that RS do. Probably cheaper alternatives elsewhere. A bigger area heat source and unlikely to be worried if it got a drop of rain or a fingerprint on it.

Not sure how accurate the pads would be, would they tend to overheat after opening, ie not as responsive?

I have a couple of very large incubators,not home made,these use wire elements.

The 12v home made type are good for transporting cells.

The small incubator i use for cells is from Banbury incubators,plus a generator,we get a few power cuts around here.

http://www.banburycrossincubators.c...jectPath=/Shops/62063992/Products/"SIL 24 AR"

Last edited:
Not sure how accurate the pads would be, would they tend to overheat after opening, ie not as responsive?

The 12v home made type are good for transporting cells.
Yes, I'd think 12V is mostly for collection/transport and powered by a vehicle. Overheating the pad is unlikely, they're basically a steady load taking anything from 2W upwards to several hundred and working temperature up to 300C. Or overheat the box? You'd probably still want a fan as well as a thermostat/control of some sort to distribute heat evenly. What's the bulb - 50 or 60W car headlight? 50W pad is 100x150mm (4x6 inches), could sit nicely at the bottom. And I see there are models that take 240V AC as well as 12V DC.

If I ever get to the scale of wanting to incubate cells, I'll think seriously about building one :)

Good job

Any chance of a few pics of the incubator without the insert, for us DIYers?

Sorry I've just put it into storage for the rest of the winter, but you can see them on *bay, here's the number 181063100136
it's completely empty except for the small fan in the lid and a dish for a wet sponge & thermostat.

You are correct. I counted 12 when it is 11.
I blame my new varifocals.

sorry tried to copy and paste from another thread and the pics did not move, will put the link to the thread

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back