inserting new frames between brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msillence

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I'm a bit new here. I think I've made a bit of a mistake separating the brood frames too early I guess if they've been over night in this situation it's too late to reunite?

I was separating them in order to move some of the frames to the edge for eventual removal as they are the frames my bees came on last year and are in poor condition.

Thanks,
M

frame of foundation or drawn comb?

how many frames of brood do you have and how many seams of bees (yes i know PH!).

Edit: Sorry PH you beat me to it!

Too early to be meddling with brood frames.

frame of foundation or drawn comb?

how many frames of brood do you have and how many seams of bees (yes i know PH!).
3 or 4 frames with brood, there seemed to be plenty of bees I find it difficult to tell in terms of seams...

What time of year is best for "meddling" with brood?

When the weather can be trusted a bit more and the bees are on 6+ frames of brood for a figure.

This week the forecast for here is rising to 18 on Thursday then 11 on Friday. Way too volatile.

PH

As PH said once the weather has settled down a bit.

So how do I move out the old frames?

in Summer, when the hive is big, lift the frames over the excluder. Brood emerge, bees fill combs with honey. Then extract and take away.

If it does not succeed, be flexible and use brains. (somebody may say that you cannot do so, just in case)

Last edited:
Extracting from brood frames is frowned on over here by the BBKA thought police.

PH

Latest posts

Back