Indian Bean Tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules59

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I have two rather lovely Indian Bean Trees in my garden (Catalpa bignonioides).
https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/3201/i-Catalpa-bignonioides-i/DetailsThey are native to SE USA (wrong Indian !).
They flower in late July. The flowers are beautiful, a bit like snap dragons and have a nice fragrance.
However my bees seem to ignore them, preferring the many other flowers in the garden.
Dose anyone know why the trees are not attractive to bees.P1000884 (Large).JPG
P1000886 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• P1000884.JPG
    P1000884.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 5
  • P1000885 (Large).JPG
    P1000885 (Large).JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 4
It’s evolved in an area that did not have honey bees. Do longer tongued bumbles frequent the flowers?
Not sure - As one has just come into flower ( the other will be in about another week) Im going to watch closely and report back.

Cracking photo - lovely to have that in your garden even if not of use to honey bees……..sure it’ll be of use to something, don’t think I’d cut it down in favour of planting a patch of OSR

What a gorgeous tree! How long do the flowers last?
The flowers last about one to two weeks. We actually have two trees and they flower sequentially which is nice.

I studied it hard today - I did see one or two bees on it high up (honey bees Im certain) but most of the insects buzzing around it were hover flies. Compared to our Hebe, Buddleia and Ceanothus plants it is practically devoid of honeybees

Cracking photo - lovely to have that in your garden even if not of use to honey bees……..sure it’ll be of use to something, don’t think I’d cut it down in favour of planting a patch of OSR
I just love it and its huge leaves are impressive too. But heavy rain can blast holes in the leaves.

Latest posts

Back