In praise of my AMM black queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimy Dee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
The briar/bramble finished in my locality this summer and I noticed there was practically a complete dearth of forage thereafter until the ivy started, at least a 4 to 5 week gap.

I had a double nuc which I wanted to move into a full commercial hive prior to the winter. A few days into the ivy flow I undertook this job and to my disgust there was no brood in any stage of development, it was totally devoid of eggs, larvae and brood. I just could not believe that this hive was queenless because it was the most active, vigorous and hard working hive in my apiary.

Now this was a 2014 queen/nuc created early in the summer and I did not open it for at least 3 months so there is no way the mis-handling had killed the queen. I had read that AMM queens can be very responsive to the flows of nectar and accordingly can turn laying on and off as needs be – I hoped this is what had happened – a full stop to laying post the briar nectar flow.

I did nothing and left the hive alone until last week (a good 2+ weeks into the ivy flow) and when I went through this hive I came across 2 frames full of brood. My 2014 AMM queen was present, doing her duty.

It is my opinion that she did stop laying after the briar flow and she did return to lay in light of the wonderful ivy flow we all seem to be benefiting from.

Now before the righteous get going saying their strain of bees are better than the next or that I am an AMM fanatic, let me get one thing clear, I don’t care if your bees are half bred with wasps, nor am I here to argue that AMM bees are the best thing since sliced pan. This bitching does not interest me so please don’t post such rubbish in replies hereto. I am simply writing this thread for the benefit of fellow beeks and to let them know how my AMM managed her laying regime in the last month or two.
Wishing you all the best and hives full of ivy winter stores (and for those thinking of removing the ivy, for god sake let the bees keep the ivy honey!)

All's well that ends well Jimy, nice to hear your experiences. Was your queen marked?

not marked, but there were no queen cells so there was no other queen in the equation

Where did you get the Amm queen?

There are a number of Amm breeding groups in Ireland and Ulster.
All doing sterling work to supply beekeepers with LOCAL Native bees.
BIBBA have links you can follow I believe.

My own Amms are now busy on the ivy after a similar close-down on laying ?due to a shortfall of forage in late August and the very dry September?

2 nucs were so full of bees I have had to transfer them into Nationals, donated by my sister in North Devon as she has lost quite a number of her Ferrari bees due sadly to starvation????

Beekeeping IS hard work, but keep up the pressure !

James

BIBBA have links you can follow I believe. James

Had a look at the BIBBA site but didn't find any links to actual suppliers? Have emailed for any breeders in their breeding programme local to me but obviously don't want any Qs this side of, say, May anyway. Got an actual link to anybody perchance as I'm pretty pxxded off with my lot this summer - swarming and superseding at the drop of a hat and poorest crop ever despite clipping etc?

Unless the breeder lives next door to you they wouldn't tell you anyway - the AMM taliban don't believe in you importing anything that doesn't come from an arera with the same first postcode letter and number set!

Where did you get the Amm queen?

BIBBA have links you can follow I believe.
Yes, I know about the Amm breeding groups but I asked a specific question about this particular queen - which can't be answered by google.

Unless the breeder lives next door to you they wouldn't tell you anyway - the AMM taliban don't believe in you importing anything that doesn't come from an arera with the same first postcode letter and number set!

Not true

it will be the next millennium then! before we get a BIBBA bred AMM in London wont it

;)

My local AMM proponents in Warwickshire arranged a bulk order of 30 AMM queens from the neighbouring region of Northern Ireland earlier this year. I'm still trying to work that one out.

BeeJoyful - sorry for not answering your question earlier. Over the last few years I have bought 4 or 5 amm queens and I now have my own stock. I know the 3 or 4 beeks in my catchment area and I know they all have amm. To be honest I think it is safe to say that the vast vast majority of southern ireland beeks have amm. Yes bees were imported in the past but I think overall they are all amm. I am not a purist but I do not (personally) want any more different strains imported. We have enough of a stock to selectively breed therefrom. Christ I'm going to be savaged by certain members for saying that but it is what I personally believe.

For those who think we are the taliban, and not willing to let people know where AMM queens are to be sourced, please refer to the links hereunder

http://nihbs.org/four-seasons-magazine/

http://www.gbbg.net/admin.html

I appreciate the links are for Irish web sites, but I presume they could courier over the the UK, dont know but worth a try if interested.

Regards

Jim (PS - in a rush - off to Afghan for a fundamentalist meeting)

the AMM taliban are zealots who would never contemplate using imported bees from the next county never mind country! and in doing so probably do their cause more harm than good

the AMM taliban are zealots who would never contemplate using imported bees from the next county never mind country! and in doing so probably do their cause more harm than good

But admit it
Welsh cakes do taste better if eaten in Wales!

James

The queen bees from GBBG are imported illegally in to the UK - without any veterinary checks or paperwork. But I guess that is OK for the AMM fraternity. Not really an import is it? Just some queens crossing a line on a map.
Clearly a case of do as I say and not as I do.

Same goes for queen bees imported from well known Danish supplier of "Buckfast" queens. The health certificates appear to be homemade and do not bear any resemblance to the official certificates required for intra-community trade . If anyone wishes to see a copy send a PM.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:
The queen bees from GBBG are imported illegally in to the UK - without any veterinary checks or paperwork. But I guess that is OK for the AMM fraternity. Not really an import is it? Just some queens crossing a line on a map.
Clearly a case of do as I say and not as I do.

Same goes for queen bees imported from well known Danish supplier of "Buckfast" queens. The health certificates appear to be homemade and do not bear any resemblance to the official certificates required for intra-community trade . If anyone wishes to see a copy send a PM.

Latest posts

Back