importing bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you agree with importing bees

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Apologies for banging on about this subject, but the mudlinging has got me wondering on the statistics of who or does not agree with bee imports.

It's better to be legal than illegal. If you cannot stop it, it's better to control it.

I don't like the imports of weed and drugs either (not because someone could say "homegrown is better"), but that doesn't solve the problem, nor makes the drugs cheaper.

Dosis sola facit venenum.

Unfortunatley i don't think it is as simple as do i agree with it or not, as i can see the benefits of importing various genetics by importing queens however i do not see the major benefit of importing package bees other than to make a quick buck.

So whilst I am for Queen importation for the right reasons i'm against package bee imports.

Hope the above makes some sense.

C B

It's better to be legal than illegal. If you cannot stop it, it's better to control it.

Dosis sola facit venenum.

indeed.. although one of ITDL's major points was that there are a HUGE amount of illegal bees. Having them legal is not controlling it.

If you have a hive with a queen at home it is easy to say no.
But what about if you cant get a queen in the uk and have an offer of a queen from overseas,would you still stand firm if against imports?

I am not voting either. Too sensitive at this point to make a safe poll.

Wrong timing IMO.

PH

I shall not vote, a bit too simplistic for me. I am, in principle against. But I was under the impression the imports referred to recently were packages, which seems now not to be the case.

There is a case for limited imports of queens, carefully scrutineered. But I, for one, have no wish to purchase these. It is usually (note - not 'always') those out for a fast buck that are importing. I am certainly against importation of packages of bees - just too many for disease-proof testing, IMO.

Regards, RAB

PS looks like I am with Crazy Bull on this one.

In principal, I would prefer British bees but......
Last summer when one of my hives became queenless (OK .. Drone Layer), I could not get a British Queen anywhere. :banghead:

I have voted yes as I have one queen that came from hawaii

I have just voted YES as one of my apiaries solely uses Norton's queens and their subsequent crosses....

I am not going to vote because although I like the idea of not importing, I have done it myself more than once and it would be hypocritical to say I'm against it, but I am not for it and I do care.

Awkward one this as my experience grows I am confident in raising queens and I am less keen on imports but I have bought queens that are imported and have been offered a couple of nucs headed with one year old NZ Italians?

I voted no - I can produce for my own replacement and for anyone else who asks. I try to ring the changes on lines for others especially if they want 2 or more. Most of us are very happy with selecting from our local bees - pre-varroa the background of feral bees was all-black. I have heard of no estimates of the relative numbers of colonies but the majority of swarms were all black then.

No point in me voting - swarms can cross Offa's dyke

Why is the 3rd choice "couldn't care less" and not "undecided" or something else?

Why is the 3rd choice "couldn't care less" and not "undecided" or something else?

that would have made it easy.

for those that want some bee imported and others not, this would make it impossible to police. this is why I put the poll as an all or nothing.

In a way, I am please it is not dramatically one way or the other with no clear minority. This means we will continue to have lively debates and will allow us newbies to learn a great deal on the subject.

Back