Quantcast

Identification please

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Can anyone identify this chrysalis/pupa or whatever? I disturbed it, I assume hibernating on the underside of a tarpaulin. Sorry the photo is not good. The pupa (still alive I'm pleased to say) is about ½" - ¾" long, has brown and yellow/orange striped markings - looks to me like the shape of a bumble bee but the markings are not right. The cocoon it was in is the same as the one shown on the left of the photo - pale yellow and very like fine wool. I assume the cocoon on the left also has a pupa within. keeping both in a small box with dried leaves and slightly damp moss. I hope to find out in the spring. chrysalis.jpg

WoodenBeam 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
Can anyone identify this chrysalis/pupa or whatever? I disturbed it, I assume hibernating on the underside of a tarpaulin. Sorry the photo is not good. The pupa (still alive I'm pleased to say) is about ½" - ¾" long, has brown and yellow/orange striped markings - looks to me like the shape of a bumble bee but the markings are not right. The cocoon it was in is the same as the one shown on the left of the photo - pale yellow and very like fine wool. I assume the cocoon on the left also has a pupa within. keeping both in a small box with dried leaves and slightly damp moss. I hope to find out in the spring. View attachment 23152

Not a ladybird larva is it? Photo as you say isn’t too clear but on looking that was my first guess.........

Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Here are two better photos, which I hope might make identification easier (taken, I'm ashamed to say, by a 9 yr old child). The creature is still alive, wiggles a bit. I call it a creature because I don't know if it's a chrysalis, a pupa or what. The green bands on the underside on the second photo, the colour is a bit exaggerated, a bit more yellowy, but definitely a greenish tinge. I could make the images full size if that would help.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Correct terminology is;
Cocoon /Moth.
Chrysalis/Butterfly..
I know being pedantic but never the less.
Actually I thought 'cocoon' was the encasing which held the chrysalis? So what is the that called?

Pembroke 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
This site has information on hatching if you want to give it a try? Hand Rearing Moths - UK Safari although they don't have any identifications of chrysalis' / pupa on their website they 'may' be able to offer an identification if you send them the photos.

hemo 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
In general terms the moth pupa spins a silk covering to develop in, it can be hard or soft. Cocoon can be opaque or dark.
The butterfly caterpillar doesn't spin a silk covering, it's skin hardens to become a chrysalis shell covering and this is shed during the development, chrysalis are dark in colour.

Last edited:

Latest posts