Identification please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone identify this chrysalis/pupa or whatever? I disturbed it, I assume hibernating on the underside of a tarpaulin. Sorry the photo is not good. The pupa (still alive I'm pleased to say) is about ½" - ¾" long, has brown and yellow/orange striped markings - looks to me like the shape of a bumble bee but the markings are not right. The cocoon it was in is the same as the one shown on the left of the photo - pale yellow and very like fine wool. I assume the cocoon on the left also has a pupa within. keeping both in a small box with dried leaves and slightly damp moss. I hope to find out in the spring. chrysalis.jpg

Can anyone identify this chrysalis/pupa or whatever? I disturbed it, I assume hibernating on the underside of a tarpaulin. Sorry the photo is not good. The pupa (still alive I'm pleased to say) is about ½" - ¾" long, has brown and yellow/orange striped markings - looks to me like the shape of a bumble bee but the markings are not right. The cocoon it was in is the same as the one shown on the left of the photo - pale yellow and very like fine wool. I assume the cocoon on the left also has a pupa within. keeping both in a small box with dried leaves and slightly damp moss. I hope to find out in the spring. View attachment 23152
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...c&biw=1366&bih=898&dpr=2#imgrc=2sdC60X8viFi8M
Not a ladybird larva is it? Photo as you say isn’t too clear but on looking that was my first guess.........

Likely a moth or Butterfly pupa.

Here are two better photos, which I hope might make identification easier (taken, I'm ashamed to say, by a 9 yr old child). The creature is still alive, wiggles a bit. I call it a creature because I don't know if it's a chrysalis, a pupa or what. The green bands on the underside on the second photo, the colour is a bit exaggerated, a bit more yellowy, but definitely a greenish tinge. I could make the images full size if that would help.

Attachments

• Chrysalis 1.jpg
    Chrysalis 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • chrysalis 2.jpg
    chrysalis 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
Could well be.

This site has information on hatching if you want to give it a try? Hand Rearing Moths - UK Safari although they don't have any identifications of chrysalis' / pupa on their website they 'may' be able to offer an identification if you send them the photos.

In general terms the moth pupa spins a silk covering to develop in, it can be hard or soft. Cocoon can be opaque or dark.
The butterfly caterpillar doesn't spin a silk covering, it's skin hardens to become a chrysalis shell covering and this is shed during the development, chrysalis are dark in colour.

Last edited: