Ideal Cream Maker.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
I have aquired a vintage Ideal Cream Maker,

All I know about how to use it is that it requires warm butter and milk.

Any body know anything more helpful than that please?

The handle is for pumping up and down and there is a small piston in the base which pushes the mixture through to an outlet spout on the base which is not shown inthis pic.

Kenwood used to make, maybe still do, an attachment for thier Chef model which converted butter and milk into cream by the same principle as your hand operated one.
It worked quite well and produced an acceptable cream substitute.

Use unsalted butter when you try it out.

I've never used one, but they were quite popular further back in time than I care to admit to knowing about :)

Frisbee

They were quite popular at a time when Cream was rather harder to source than today.

I dare say some folks would enjoy playing with such tools using unconventional ingredients - like soya milk and coconut cream - but otherwise, I simply don't see the point these days. Real Cream is so much better.

Should you ever happen to come across a supermarket cheaply selling off large quantities of very short-dated cream, then its interesting to have a go at the reverse process - whipping cream to make butter. Whip it till it splits, whip it some more, drain (collecting the buttermilk if you choose to), wash, add salt to taste, squish/squash to squeeze out excess water and form into blocks/pats. It is interesting to notice how the taste develops over a few days as the entrained residues of buttermilk ferment. And how different the taste of (fresh) 'sweet cream butter' really is.

It is interesting to notice how the taste develops over a few days as the entrained residues of buttermilk ferment. And how different the taste of (fresh) 'sweet cream butter' really is.

What a chore that was years ago,making butter once every week, by hand,and we fed the butter milk to the pigs.

I did find on Google a reference to using salted butter but thats all.

It seems as if at one time you could get these by collecting coupons from Stork margarine.

I can remember seeing my grandmother using butter pats. She was a cook "in service" for a local shoe factory boss.

Last edited:
I did find on Google a reference to using salted butter but thats all.

In which case you may find it helpful to search for the instructions for the Kenwood attachments. Recipe included. Same principle, but no upper body workout.
The model references are A727 and A927 - the 700 and 900&later Chefs have different drive 'polarity' otherwise they are practically identical.
There's even a YouTube clip ... / of course there is ...

Ok.
I did see pics of the Kenwood one so will have a look.
There's even a YouTube clip ... / of course there is

and there are also some to show you how to take your new printer out of the box!!!!!!!!!:sos:

Just received a Freecycled Kenwood Chef with cream maker, tin opener, slicer, juicer etc etc. Takes me right back to the 60s as a kid. Just need the potato peeler...

ps. not tried the cream maker yet.

Just received a Freecycled Kenwood Chef with cream maker, tin opener, slicer, juicer etc etc. Takes me right back to the 60s as a kid. Just need the potato peeler...

ps. not tried the cream maker yet.

Brilliant bit of kit ,,, My Kenwood Chef is, I think, at least 30 years old ... possibly older ... the only thing I had to do last year was replace a couple of capacitors when one blew. An hour's job, £4 from ebay for the kit. It just goes on and on ... used it with the dough hook today to make pastry for home made pasties (not a bit of horse in sight - beef skirt from a real butchers).

I have mincer, sausage maker, juicer, shredder, seed mill and cream maker (never used the latter !) ... it's just a great workhorse in the kitchen. Bloody noisy though ...

Brilliant bit of kit ,,, My Kenwood Chef is, I think, at least 30 years old ... possibly older ... the only thing I had to do last year was replace a couple of capacitors when one blew. An hour's job, £4 from ebay for the kit. It just goes on and on ... used it with the dough hook today to make pastry for home made pasties (not a bit of horse in sight - beef skirt from a real butchers).

I have mincer, sausage maker, juicer, shredder, seed mill and cream maker (never used the latter !) ... it's just a great workhorse in the kitchen. Bloody noisy though ...

Is the workhorse for the burgers...

Is the workhorse for the burgers...

:nono: :icon_204-2:

Mincer and sausage maker ... you'd never know what went through ... no labelling requirements for home consumption.

Leek and horsemeat sausages perhaps (I don't have a problem with Dobbin meat as long as I know its name and who fed it whilst it was alive !).

Avoid the cream doghnuts, the cream there is made from large blocks of lard and something a little bit bigger than the KWC.

Latest posts

Back