Icicles in Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My hives have often 10 mm ice on bottom board after winter when I open them for cleansing flight.
Many in FInland too think that it is awfull, but it means nothing. It is normal.

When the entrance is open, of course the floor has ice. If ice and dead bees stuck the entrance, it is good to have upper entrance open.

Bees stand many things. You avoid much if you do not look the hives during winter. Let them be in peace. After half years sleeping we meet again. When the basic things are loaded in Autumn, they are alive in Spring.

However, bees are from Africa. They are not ice bears. It try to arrange to them a warm winter.
It is better to sniff own fart than shiver in cold. - a new beekeeper's proverb.

Bees stand many things. You avoid much if you do not look the hives during winter. Let them be in peace. After half years sleeping we meet again. When the basic things are loaded in Autumn, they are alive in Spring.

That para. just sums up beekeeping, through the winter months, most admirably.

Basic things are stores, varroa control and ventilation, with some insulation above the crownboard being much to the bees' advantage.

Leaving alone is then the best bet, unless the hefting (late in the winter) indicates light stores and some extra feeding is necessary. Not touched mine, really, since early November, and if the boards under, for mite drop checking (and as a check to see if and where the bees are feeding), show very little varroa drop, the roofs will remain closed until warmer times are back again.

Regards, RAB

I agree.

I checked mine yesterday for stores and a few need a feed. Today I will go and see to them, and I know which ones they are because I set the bricks to tell me.

I noted elsewhere some one saying to give a light hive 2kg of fondant? Sorry but for info if you are feeding then FEED.

Would you give a cow one small bale of hay for the whole winter? Not if you want a live cow in spring hmmm?

Give them a decent lump of fondant, a good 8 kilos+

Now re fondant oozing downwards, I saw that in one nuc yesterday where the bees were dead, but not in any of the live ones. So another issue possibly not to worry about?

PH

Latest posts

Back