I would liike swarm or two

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like you just have to put out an empty hive...and along comes a swarm to fill it.....except where I live! None of them want to climb our hill....so I made my own....got lots of nucs now....😁

never had any luck with bait hives, use a nuc box with some old comb and raise it quite high still nothing and there are swarms about, dom these swarm lures work?

never had any luck with bait hives, use a nuc box with some old comb and raise it quite high still nothing and there are swarms about, dom these swarm lures work?

A nuc box is smaller than the optimum 40L. Maybe that's why!

Something i've found that works is you place a solid floor with entrance block in, go for the smaller hole, then a super then on top of that a brood box, crown board and roof. Place in a vita swarm lure on the floor near the entrance (rip it open but don't take the cloth out) place a frame of draw foundation and a few frames of foundation either side in the brood box. A generous splash of lemongrass oil inside and a little more on the outside box. Place this at about head height or just above and cross fingers. Caught a fair few this way. In terms of nuc boxes, i've found that convertng a paynes poly to take eight frames and adding the eke on top is attractive to bees as i've caught 2 swarms this way this year. Hope this is of some help.

A nuc box is smaller than the optimum 40L. Maybe that's why!

I agree needs to be brood box size and put in a old brood frame or two (if you got some )works fine no need for lures or lemon grass
Or just store used equipment outside I've had three swarms come in and settle in the tree above empty brood boxes and supers this year
Funny when you want a swarm theres no interest in the bait hives, but when you don't they seem to turn up uninvited and at the most inconvenient times

Latest posts

Back