I was just about to unite and then …

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a Nuc with a swarm that had a virgin queen that I had been giving syrup. It never drew the combs like crazy. I did my first check the other day and they had stopped at about 4 of the 6 frames and then filled them with nectar/syrup. I could not find a queen and after putting in a test frame with a couple of eggs/larvae they drew a couple of queen cells. I was going to unite them this evening and saw a patch laid up with a couple of double eggs. I assumed maybe a newly laying queen. But then on the other side and multiple frames I saw loads with dozens of eggs. A few eggs in the nectar. I don’t think any of them were standing up. I’m guessing laying workers?

IMG_5390.jpegIMG_5392.jpeg

I forgot to mention that my test frame has a capped queen cell on it. So do I leave it to emerge. Or is it likely to be killed by the bees? I’d prefer to shake out and save the comb if they are likely to ruin my comb whilst waiting for the mated queen.

multiple frames I saw loads with dozens of eggs
Laying workers, rather than a new queen getting into her stride.

capped queen cell on it. So do I leave it to emerge
Is it really capped, or has it been opened and re-sealed? Could be empty; if so, a hive tool will flip it open, but not if it really is a sealed QC, because the fibrous tip will be too tough for a hive tool.

putting in a test frame
How long between hiving the swarm, checking for eggs, and then putting in the test?

Laying workers, rather than a new queen getting into her stride.

Is it really capped, or has it been opened and re-sealed? Could be empty; if so, a hive tool will flip it open, but not if it really is a sealed QC, because the fibrous tip will be too tough for a hive tool.

How long between hiving the swarm, checking for eggs, and then putting in the test?
Thanks for replies all. It’s a bit complicated. Was two weeks from swarm before I checked. Was no eggs at that point but looked a bit strange with no prepped cells and they had also stopped drawing comb whilst filling up the remainder. I put in a test frame. This also had the queen cell from another hive. They drew out a new queen cells. So then yesterday I decided I’d do a unite. However in the two days they obviously started laying. And since I checked yesterday they laid more eggs in the cells with only singles. I’ve lost a few queens this year and didn’t want to risk any more so just shook them out. They seem to have filled up the hive next door nicely which did need a boost anyway.

I have one more dodgy hive but that will be another post :)

Latest posts

Back