I want to 'show' a capped frame of honey - how?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
currently 5 hives & 3 nucs
Please can you advise me.....
I have two frames of fully capped honey, which look even, and white, and very beautiful to me, and I'm thinking of entering one of them at our local honey show later in the year.
What will a judge be looking for exactly? should they be plump as would be in a 10 frame super? mine have come out of an eleven frame super, so they aren't that plump. I've cleared them of bees. What should I do with them between now and the show in October? How should they be best stored? I have ordered a wooden showcase especially for it, which should arrive next week.
Thanks
J

From the BBKA

Combs Suitable for Extracting

Schedules usually state "Comb suitable for extracting". The Judges
should note the suitability for uncapping, evenly drawn out on both sides and the
evenness and cleanliness of the comb surface. The use of new foundation is
preferred to the use of old foundation and the comb should be attached to the frame
all round on both sides. If wired, the frame should be properly wired. Cells should
be well sealed with few empty or uncapped cells. The judge should test for aroma
and sample honey from a cell. The judge should examine the comb against a strong
light to confirm the honey is uniform in colour with no granulation, fermentation,
pollen, propolis or evidence of sugar syrup feeding.
The Judge should take account of the cleanliness of the frame woodwork
any weeping of honey or any brace or burr comb. The show case should be glazed
on both sides, neat, tidy, bee proof, clean, free from propolis and any extraneous
aroma. Two labels should be provided and affixed as required by the schedule.

As fully capped as possible, proud of the wood of the frame so it can be uncapped with a knife. No pollen. Clean the frame and present in a show case with glass sides.

That's great, thank you......do I just store it in it's showcase in a cool place until the time of the show in October?
J

Yes should keep ok. One other thing, cappings should be nice and white and not stained.

When you have chosen your best frame you can remove any untidy bits then put it above the crown board for a few hours for the bees to clean up any mess.

Some people put the frame in the freezer for a couple of days to kill any wax moth eggs or larvae.

Latest posts

Back