I want to build a dovecote

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son bought an owl box from an organization (I think it was the owl trust) and we put it up on the end of an old piggery about 20 years ago. Even a tiny CCTV camera inside it. There's never been an owl even look at it. I think a pigeon investigated this spring but it's still not occupied
If the piggery is open try putting it inside?
Which way does it face? It should be away from the prevailing wind and with clear sight for an owl flying above. Ours took three years before owls found it. This year they raised four which are still flying round the garden with the last one still shrieking for food. Last year with the excellent spring there were five.

View attachment OWLS.mov

If the piggery is open try putting it inside?
Which way does it face? It should be away from the prevailing wind and with clear sight for an owl flying above. Ours took three years before owls found it. This year they raised four which are still flying round the garden with the last one still shrieking for food. Last year with the excellent spring there were five.

View attachment 40957
Sadly the piggery has been repurposed and is now a chicken shed. It's bird proof since the bird flu precautions. The owl box is facing more or less West and various large established trees provide protection from strong winds albeit at a distance. We do see hunting owls around and our neighbouring farm has a semi derelict barn which I guess provides a more attractive site.
On another tack. We usually (for the last 20 years) see a couple of families of swallows building nests in the stables followed in due course to young swallows learning to fly and gathering on overhead wires before flying off for the winter. It's just occurred to me they didn't appear this year.😞

Latest posts

Back