Nucs building up in the spring.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
makes me wonder if a overwintered nuc is the best colony for a new beekeeper to start with.
swarming after having overwintered nucs because they were caught out with them building up,
Nice thought, but in truth, a greater benefit is loss of control and dealing with consequent swarming. How else to learn that lesson?

Beginners keen to see quick results will always want (and have difficulty handling) rapid growth. How else to get a yield in the first season? Older queens may slow development but on the other hand, declining pheromone will accelerate the complications of swarming and re-queening.

Better to teach that beekeeping is a long game and concentrate on the five basics plus swarming, swarming, and swarming.

Beginner courses were in demand last year and we were still teaching in July. Taking new nucs at that point gave a good opportunity to set up and taste management routine while the season wound down; confidence gained will be useful when spring explodes.

Im also mentoring some of these folk so hopefully that will help.
What are your thoughts.

This strikes me as a bigger issue for you than the actual nuc sales. Can you really justify burning your time with (presumably) hands on mentoring? It's a lovely thing to do but in the early stages of building your bee business I reckon that same time would be better used making more nucs to sell (or whatever).

I find over wintered queens in their first "production" year less of a swarmy worry than queens in their 2nd or or even third production year. While the older Q may (or may not be less productive, genetics plays a big part) than an over wintered queen I think the swarm urge could (again genetics plays a big part) be stronger and make life more complicated for a beginner.

I find over wintered queens in their first "production" year less of a swarmy worry than queens in their 2nd or or even third production year. While the older Q may (or may not be less productive, genetics plays a big part) than an over wintered queen I think the swarm urge could (again genetics plays a big part) be stronger and make life more complicated for a beginner.
Quite.
Any first full season colonies of mine are on a much abridged swarm inspection regime (virtually none) compared to any multi season queens, its a massive time-saver if you have lots to get through.

Where did you get three year olds from?
Overwintered queen's are barely 12 months old, second year not quite 2 years... We hear alot on here of newbs loosing there colonys to swarming after having overwintered nucs because they were caught out with them building up,
Second year queen's would be slower?
Perhaps if a younger queen, supply clipped, that way beginners won't lose bees, though they may lose the queen?
A good chance of beginners still getting some honey as well as a replacement queen if they swarm and the experience of a finding and marking newly mated queen.

Perhaps if a younger queen, supply clipped, that way beginners won't lose bees, though they may lose the queen?
A good chance of beginners still getting some honey as well as a replacement queen if they swarm and the experience of a finding and marking newly mated queen.
That's a thought and I didn't think of that one good call :)

But curly is mentoring them. Surely that involves a weekly visit to start with. At least that’s what I do.
Nevertheless I do think it’s a good idea to clip queens if the colony is being kept in a garden with neighbours.

I'd rather an over wintered queen, she is proven both laying and hardiness, early nucs with 'this year's' queens run the risk of poor matings, even in favourable locations.
Agreed.
Approx 50% of my mated queens failed eventually due to bad weather affecting mating, Very poor beekeeping weather like 2020.

Back