I think my nuc is unwell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi JCBrum

Here's what your looking for;

Regards;

Nosema pics

Thanks Bcrazy, those are good and very helpful pics.

I like the micrometer, Is it in the eyepiece or on the stage ? what's the scale size ?

I'm guessing the N. spores are 2 micron approx ?

Can you tell the difference between N. apis and N. ceranae ?

My Vickers is packed away in store, but I'm going to get it out and set it up asap.

JC.

Hi JC

I like the micrometer, Is it in the eyepiece or on the stage ? what's the scale size ?

I'm guessing the N. spores are 2 micron approx ?

Can you tell the difference between N. apis and N. ceranae ?

Micrometre is in the eye piece.
Scale size is dependant on what magnification is used. At X400 the distance between graticule's is 2.5 microns.

Depending on clarity of the slide then I am able to give an educated guess, as I have slides of both, so I can make a comparison to each other. There are times when I have got it wrong.:blush5:

Regards;

I bought a Hive of Bees 2 weeks ago, containing 4 frames of brood, bees of all ages, a laying queen showing eggs in the cells and half frame of stores.

Now 2 weeks later I have 8 frames of brood with bees of all ages 2 frames full of capped honey, so I have had to add a super. The bees are currently being tested, although they are showing no sign of disease and are building very quickly. I don't know if this is good or O.K. but it would suggest that a healthy colony will alter in this way, this is how my hived nuc has grown. Hope its of help.

P.S. They are dark Irish Bee, decendants of Galtee Bee Farm.

Kind regards

Busy Bee

I bought a Hive of Bees 2 weeks ago, containing 4 frames of brood,

Now 2 weeks later I have 8 frames of brood with bees of all ages 2 frames full of capped honey, so I have had to add a super.

You nuc seller has been a good man and he has selected old brood which emerge soon.

One brood frame´gives 3 frame of bees.

After 3 weeks all your byed brood have emerged and you get about 10 frames of bees = one box full.

However, I suggest that give to the colony another brood box. That size of colony is not able to forage surplus honey. Let it grow freely. In July it is able to get real honey yield.

With another brood box you will avoid swarming. - I hope. Let it grow.

8 frames of brood in one box hive is really good. Good queen.

Here is the latest update on my poorly nuc, which I bought on the 5th May and returned on the 9th May.

The supplier rang me last week and said come and get my replacement nuc. He said he tried to recover my original nuc but the bees all died and he had to start again.

I visited his yard last Friday 26th June, almost exactly 8 weeks after returning the original nuc on 9th May.

My nuc box was ready he said but I might need to add a frame of brood when I get home so as to strengthen it up a bit. It was supposed to be a five frame nuc but in the box was actually one frame of bees on brood, one frame foundation and one frame honey and pollen. Hmmm.

I was very fed up with the situation, and felt I had learned a lot very fast in the last two months.

I didn't bother saying I thought he could have done much better because I didn't think I could get any benefit from a dispute. I think he let me down twice. He might not have done it knowingly. Maybe he is having a difficult life atm.

He is no longer on my preferred suppliers list.

I have done as he said and added a frame of brood from another hive. We shall see what happens.

I reckon I'm already a better bee breeder than he is. Maybe one day I can help him out.

In April this year I had one colony which was just about viable after the winter (it was a nuc in July 2008).

I now have seven colonies on the go, although three of them are in a delicate state.

JC.
JC.

YOu could call that item many things but a five frame nuc it is not.

At the least it should have three frames of brood and two of stores.

I wouldn't sell at less than that.

PH

JC
That is certainly a joke of a nuc.
Put it down to experience and look elsewhere the next time.
Any nucs I sell have a minimum of 3-4 frames with brood.

Hellfire- just read all this thread. He should have been hanging his head in shame - even to thinkof selling such a Nuc. What is the rest of his stock like if he was that unprofessional - :puke:
My Nucs have 3/4 frames brood and any less I would ask the purchaser to hang on, so I ensured they were raring to go.

My nuc box was ready he said but I might need to add a frame of brood when I get home so as to strengthen it up a bit. It was supposed to be a five frame nuc but in the box was actually one frame of bees on brood, one frame foundation and one frame honey and pollen. Hmmm.

did you pay for this nuc or was it a favour?

His price was £95 but he charged me £75. I supplied my own box and 5 new frames.

Last edited:
Mine £90 for lovely bees- shame you live so far away - I have been known to sell for much less if a new keeper as start up is very expensive :(

just seen - no frames in the price - what a scammer!!

Last edited:
I have also found that if you explain that a Nuc Needs another couple of weeks of your care then most customers are happy to wait.

It only takes one bad Nuc to destroy a beekeepers reputation as Mike at easybee found out when he employed an oick last year to help make nucs up who added an old frame to a box.

His price was £95 but he charged me £75. I supplied my own box and 5 new frames.

:svengo:

that's shocking he took that much money off you for what sounds like a queen and some bee's.

I bought from Sputnam after an ad on this forum, it was an overwintered nuc and it really was a full 5 frames, the bee's are really nice and calm. I know he's a long way from Brum but a few hours in a car is well worth it for a quality nuc.

it was £50 btw ;)

Ah well, I know better now don't I.

Perhaps his friends will recognize this story and help him to do better in future.

I want him to do well, I was just a bit disappointed by the situation.

I hope he learns as much from the episode as I have done. Knowledge and experience are very valuable and often scarce.

JC.

p.s. quote Taff - "that's shocking he took that much money off you for what sounds like a queen and some bee's."

Er, I haven't found the queen yet Taff !!

Last edited:
Ah well, I know better now don't I.

Perhaps his friends will recognize this story and help him to do better in future.

I want him to do well, I was just a bit disappointed by the situation.

I hope he learns as much from the episode as I have done. Knowledge and experience are very valuable and often scarce.

JC.

p.s. quote Taff - "that's shocking he took that much money off you for what sounds like a queen and some bee's."

Er, I haven't found the queen yet Taff !!

I really feel for you fella, I know what its like to be taken advantage of when you are relying on others to do the right thing. :(

I think I'd be giving it a little chance to see if any eggs appear, if not I'd be taking it back for a refund

I think maybe you ought to tell him what a 5 frame nuc is as well. He obviously doesnt know. Its all good wishing him well but if he isnt told what he is selling is crap then he may continue selling them as they are, and at the end of the day you paid for a 5 frame nuc, thats what you should get. :cheers2:

Sorry but for the price he charged there should be a nice big fat healthy queen newly mated and MARKED if wanted, along with 3-4 frames of brood of all stages along with a frame of stores, and a good amount of bees.

Even if you do find the queen eventually, I'd have no hesitation in returning the nuc and asking him f he wants to buy one off yourself to see how it should be done!!!

That is a disgrace, if the guy was giving you the nuc as a favour it would still be a pretty poor one, but at least you wouldnt have been out of pocket!

Sounds to me like you are too much of a nice guy and have been done.

Hmmm, maybe you're right. I still haven't found the queen, but I haven't looked very hard yet. The bees are quietly and slowly proceeding.

I see that the supplier has taken an ad in one of the county association monthly magazines offering his 3 frame nucs, bring your own box and frames, for £105.

I only paid £75, discounted from £95, but it was supposed to be 5 frames originally.

Perhaps I'm an isolated case. He tells me he has people traveling from all around to buy his nucs.

JC.

He tells me he has people traveling from all around to buy his nucs.

JC.

This may be the problem - it's what he says and how can this be validated. I personally am suspicious of people who sing there own praises too highly unless there are other unrelated people who can confirm it.

I'm not meaning to imply that this is the case with this seller (I think you said in an earlier post that you had bought from him before) but surely it should be a case of caveat emptor in any case.

Anyway I wish you luck in getting the desired result.

Latest posts

Back