I think my nuc is unwell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, but I consider the episode to be consigned to history, and I have moved on.

I have more knowledge and experience as a result of my efforts during the last year which I could have acquired no other way than to "get stuck in and give it a shot".

It is important to draw useful and realistic conclusions from all events so as to hone ones skill and judgement. This is the best thing to provide an "edge" when difficulties arise.

Purchased nucs are not the only way to acquire bees, and I'm developing my apiary as fast as my beginners skills can meet the challenges.

Considering in April this year I had only one nuc size colony which had struggled through the winter full of chalk-brood, I'll be happy if I can bring my current six colonies through next winter, and overjoyed if I get a bit of honey.

This is a bit out of date now. The nuc in question is the one on the front row. The nuc on the back row has now been hived, and I've added another hive as well with a swarm in it which I caught about two weeks ago.

Regards to all JCBrum.

I consider 6 hives to be the ideal number to go into the winter with if still gaining experience.

OK Admin,

Considering all my colonies started off as nucs, small splits, or casts, and I've put them onto bare 14x12 foundation (I haven't got anything else), It's a very big pull-up for them to fill the bb and start on the supers.

I shall spend the rest of the year getting them up to a stable size and condition if pos.

I had thought I might attempt some splits or queen rearing in August, but presently I reckon colony strength and stability is a priority.

If I can achieve all that perhaps I can increase by AS techniques next spring.

This forum has been of great help. Many thanks to you all. :)

JC.

hi JCBrum
Would you please make it clear as to who`s nuc it was?
there area few posters that are hinting.

Im the one you bought a queen off and ended up with a nuc!!
all the best mike

Hi Mike, I think I've said elsewhere on this forum that I was pleased with the nuc I bought from you. It's doing fine and is now in a 14x12 hive building up nicely.

The unsatisfactory nuc I was describing at the beginning of this thread came from an entirely different source, who has increased his prices by more than double during this season. I'm surprised he's got any takers at all. I shan't deal with him anyway, but especially since I had such a good deal from you. Thanks again. JC.

Latest posts

Back