I saw a drone?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez100

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Today it was sunny early on and one of the the hives started flying early. I was leant over the top of it watching a huge amount of stuff going in. Pondering if I should have these mouse guards off.
Then I heard it, it made me duck. It was much bigger much louder than the others and faster I would say. It was around for 20 seconds at most and went back in.

Should I be having a look inside and see what's going on? I would appreciate opinions

Many thanks

Jez

Well, you either have a DLQ or a drone that happened to emerge early in the season.

If a DLQ? What would you do if you opened the hive? (Answer, probably nothing because there are no mated queens around to replace her with.)
I have photos from last year showing drones in April. Bees do things that bees do.
If a drone from a normal queen? Then nothing needs to be done.

No need to worry unduly, I have drones in two hives, both queens are fine. Besides, there's not much you can do about it.

I have drones and a very small amount of drone brood have had for a few weeks. Mainly in the dark bees not in the buckies.
Im not concerned about it. Mild winter seems to have caused a few to have drones early.
Its not a dlq in my situation as the brood frames have a good amount of worker brood.

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping it's not dlq as it's a very strong colony will watch a bit more if it warms up a bit.
Mouse guard question was answered seen as they have been huddled up today and forecast is not great.
Thanks again

Jez

Latest posts

Back