I haven’t fed yet.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugsInABox

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Last year by now I was well into feeding but then there was a good ivy flow hereabouts, and there’s loads of it just in bud round here now - I’d give it another week.
Their stores are so so - not so poor I’m worried about imminent starvation (though I’m having a quick look every now and then) - but certainly not enough for the winter.
My plan is to hold off with feed - see how the ivy flow goes and then top up after if needed. Would others consider that risky. Is it possible to feed syrup/fondant end September?
Regards
Neil
BIAB

Last year by now I was well into feeding but then there was a good ivy flow hereabouts, and there’s loads of it just in bud round here now - I’d give it another week.
Their stores are so so - not so poor I’m worried about imminent starvation (though I’m having a quick look every now and then) - but certainly not enough for the winter.
My plan is to hold off with feed - see how the ivy flow goes and then top up after if needed. Would others consider that risky. Is it possible to feed syrup/fondant end September?
Regards
Neil
BIAB
Invert is fine even if the bees don’t cap it.
You could add thymol as an extra precaution

Other than extracted frames, I’ve not started yet either. I have about 20lbs of high water content honey to feed back and that will be my starter for ten from Tuesday.

Ive always left feeding till after ivy, i do live on south coast tho dso weather makes this possible.

It's been a bit of a disastrous season for honey so I am being more cautious that usual as I usually don't feed at all. I've nadired some unripe honey for my larger colonies but am feeding the smaller ones who don't seem to have much in the way of stores. I'll see how their weight goes and feed intermittently, but there usually is a lot of ivy around here.

It's suggested to feed before Ivy flow, the ivy stores will become hard and difficult for the bees to use if a cold winter.

It's suggested to feed before Ivy flow, the ivy stores will become hard and difficult for the bees to use if a cold winter.
Bees and Ivy have coexisted for millennia. The idea that ivy is difficult for the bees is yet another myth. The can and they do use them. Ivy stores attract moisture in the hive and maintain a liquid surface so not only can the bees access them but they don't have to leave the hive in perilous conditions to access water.

I prefer to mix as well just for ease of use for the bees and a good conscience that I have done everything I can for the bees to overwinter well

No ivy here#,lots of HB but very little nectar
I weigh all my hives and feed anything under 30kg - two out of six just now.
Am feeding ALL my nucs enough to avoid starvation but not enough to store (they have adequate stores based on weight)

I weigh using a digital luggage scale - under one end floor, then the other and add...Approx 5 mins/hive.. have to remove poly covers

The 30KG is based on my particular configurations and will vary with hive type and configuration. 40KG means honey bound in Spring based on experience.

Thymol in syrup to prevent mould.

# There is ivy but it flowers October/November too late to be of any use.

I reweigh December when I vape OA and then in February weigh again.

I prefer to mix as well just for ease of use for the bees and a good conscience that I have done everything I can for the bees to overwinter well
Well I mix for the only reason that the bees have never ever ever had the weather to collect enough ivy alone for winter

Well I mix for the only reason that the bees have never ever ever had the weather to collect enough ivy alone for winter
Well, so you are really only quoting Jenkins sentiments then.

Bees and Ivy have coexisted for millennia. The idea that ivy is difficult for the bees is yet another myth. The can and they do use them. Ivy stores attract moisture in the hive and maintain a liquid surface so not only can the bees access them but they don't have to leave the hive in perilous conditions to access water.
That raises some curious hydroscopic thoughts about uncapped stores and other nectar sources for winter stores.

That raises some curious hydroscopic thoughts about uncapped stores and other nectar sources for winter stores.
Yes if they are crystallised And uncapped. I suppose. Uncapped liquid stores are still liquid. Maybe they become more so?

Loads of ivy around me and boxes are often packed wall to wall last season being a wet exception. Bees love it and winter well I wouldn’t want it otherwise. It’s bull or a poor excuse for colony losses imo

we haven't fed anything yet, still making nucs to winter, last sixteen queens going in Friday. All colonies will be then fed invert and treated,
an awful lot earlier than last year, supers didn't come off till mid October.

Latest posts

Back