I am so excited!!! :D

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I have just seen a very orange bee in my garden, buzzing around the grass. I ran in to get my camera, but before it could focus and adjust to the light ( it's a phone camera ) the bee disappeared down a little hole the size of a pencil! Could I possibly have a solitary bee living in my grass? Will the fact my son bulldozes around playing football all over it bother the bee? I will try and find out which kind of bee it is, if anyone has any clues, then they would be helpful. It was about the size of a honeybee, but very orange.

probably a solitary bee. There are dozens of species though so id could be guesswork. I think it will keep out if your son's way.

The link identifies solitary bees found in Britain. If it's in your lawn then it's most likely this one. It is exactly the same as the one I saw :)

Thinking about it, I've had these holes on my lawn for years! I thought worms made them! Last year I was still terrified of bees and knew nothing about them so wouldn't have noticed the differences in any I saw in the garden. I am so pleased about this :)

I have a few last year in my lawn.
They do look like worm holes.
I don't think they have a sting?
I also have Mason Bee in my wall every year.

Dear Kaz, you are a treat! "Every spring these bees turn up in garden lawns, triggering minor hysteria in the populace. Tawny Mining Bees are harmless. The female is one of our most attractive bees, with lovely foxy red coloured hairs clothing its body."

I suspect your kind of excitement was not the minor hysteria they were referring to, but it raised a grin this end anyway ...

Thank you :)

I just read they have a sting, but it is weak and can't penetrate the skin. I know lots about them now :D

Your journey from Apiphobe to Apiphile has been one of the highlights of the forum this last year

Hi Kaz,

Never seen them before, must've been very exciting. Thank you for the link. Off to the garden with my camera.

Haz

I really must dig out my proper camera, I have so much I would like to record lately. I do get excited by bees lol, perhaps a little too much :)

76167750b8643f174c48743e2e890241_1413.jpg

Sorry for the shake but I have holes by my path, is this a Tawny Mining Bee?
regards Jim

We had all sorts of wild bees in our garden last year Kaz and none of them caused any problem at all. I even have "insect houses" (aka old logs and bits of garden cane!!) to encourage them in. Your footy-mad lads will be fine :)

Katz! I totally relate with your excitment. A lone bee is something i often look for in my garden. Enjoy yourself!

I always keep an eye out for any sort of bees when i leave home for work - usually about 7am and every morning this week, even in slight rain, I have seen queen bumbels out foraging. I have also watched them circling my hives....

last summer we had several distinct varieties of bees in the garden and threads like this have given me the incentive to find out what subspecies they belong to.

Out today, Chris B opened up a box and there on the crown board was a hornet.

Not saying that it was big, but he is looking to get a quote to have it mounted on his study wall next to the tiger's head.

Definitely 20mm or longer but wasn't about to mess around at the sharp end after giving her a bit of a pinch.

Latest posts

Back