I’ve got BEEEEEES!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find a bright led hand torch as well as my readers invaluable for seeing eggs.
I find the mesh of my suit really difficult to focus through. Someone needs to design a transparent non fogging bee hood.

Are you very short sighted or using "monovision"?
I need reading glasses but also glasses for driving. My eyesight has been the bane of my life since I was a child. I had a few blissful years of 20/20 after having LASIK but I’m drifting closer to Mr Magoo territory again as I get older 😕

I need reading glasses but also glasses for driving. My eyesight has been the bane of my life since I was a child. I had a few blissful years of 20/20 after having LASIK but I’m drifting closer to Mr Magoo territory again as I get older 😕
I find a torch and glasses that will let you focus at the right distance work for me, a magnifying glass (X3) is occasionally useful, some take photos with phones to later enlarge and look.
It's always easier to confirm eggs are present than that they aren't!!

May be worth looking at "clear lens exchange" with trifocal lenses if you can afford the £7k bill for both eyes!

Ive never heard of this but it sounds brilliant.......I wear varifocals.....hmmmmmm?
Basically the same procedure as a cataract extraction and intra-ocular lens, but using the latest lenses.
My other half had it for cataracts and is now glasses free for the first time in her life!

Ive never heard of this but it sounds brilliant.......I wear varifocals.....hmmmmmm?
I wear varifocals. have the start of a cataract in my left eye and posterior vitreous detachment ... and need a further pair of glasses for computer screen use at work ...but, the prospect of someone messing with my eyes leaves me a wreck. I can't even manage contact lenses as they always ended up on mym cheek ! But ... "clear lens exchange with trifocal lenses" sounds like a dream. Rather doubt the NHS would entertain it though !

I wear varifocals. have the start of a cataract in my left eye and posterior vitreous detachment ... and need a further pair of glasses for computer screen use at work ...but, the prospect of someone messing with my eyes leaves me a wreck. I can't even manage contact lenses as they always ended up on mym cheek ! But ... "clear lens exchange with trifocal lenses" sounds like a dream. Rather doubt the NHS would entertain it though !
I can understand your fear, I would be the same. My father had both eyes done and there was a 'slight' issue with the first, the result left his eye looking strange. It was only after he died that we found out from my mother that he was left with very limited vision in that eye.

Sadly the NHS currently only do monofocal lenses.
The complication rate is very low these days, and the chance of ending up worse than when you started extremely low.
20min surgery under local anaesthetic.

had both cataracts done a few years ago -they give you a choice before the opertation of either being permanently long sighted, thus needing reading glasses, or permanently short sighted which may mean ending up wearing glasses at all times - you cannot have new eyesight made to order as once the new lenses are in it's a lottery on how the eyes adjust. I (and the surgeon) was looking forward to, irrespective of the finer details, for the first time in my life at least have a finely balanced pair of eyes,my left (master eye) always being a lot stronger than the right, although both short sighted, just before the cataracts developed due to my job, I was short sighted in one eye, long sighted in the other and also had a serious astigmatism) after the op, both eyes were now moderately long sighted although the left one was still stronger than the rightmand the astigmatism was still there, then to add insult to injury, the left eye still thought it had a real lens so was constantly trying to 'repair' the plastic one which meant my vision quickly deteriorated again so I had to have corrective laser surgery which means I basically have a pinhole in my left lens which gave me clear vision although I lost some periphery vision.

Sadly the NHS currently only do monofocal lenses.
The complication rate is very low these days,
yet just on this forum, I know at least two of us have had post operational complications, one (not me) having had to undergo pretty radical surgery to make it right.

There is one fairly common complication, "posterior capsule opacification" where the rear of the "bag" which enclosed the original lens becomes cloudy, usually easily treated by laser. I believe it occurs in about 20% over a few years.
I'm not sure whether it's a complication or progression of the original cataract process.

Last edited:
I can understand your fear, I would be the same. My father had both eyes done and there was a 'slight' issue with the first, the result left his eye looking strange. It was only after he died that we found out from my mother that he was left with very limited vision in that eye.
Yes .. it's a bit of a phobia with me I'm afraid ..I even find it difficult at the opticians when they say keep you eye open wide ... usually prompts a reaction to shut my eye ! I know, eventually, I'm going to have to do something about the cataract - they have said I've probably got a couple of years - five at most before it becomes a problem. Not looking forward to it.

"posterior capsule opacification" where the rear of the "bag" which enclosed the original lens becomes cloudy, usually easily treated by laser. I believe it occurs in about 20% over a few years.
I'm not sure whether it's a complication or progression of the original cataract process.
it happened to me within less than a year - but only in one eye, it also gives you slight tunnel vision as the 'correction' is to burn a pinhole in the capsule which then becomes the only clear part for you to see through.

This all makes me cringe!
I’ll stick to varifocals while I can. I don’t mind being a wuss…

Will seriously think about it. After what I’ve been through “messing” with my eyes while I’m awake doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
Yes but you are very brave ... I'm a total wimp when it comes to my eyes.

Latest posts

Back