How's your summer flow doing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im actually getting a less than expected average over my 300 production hives (now around 400). 80lbs average, well below our long term average of 100lbs (northamptonshire - > worcestershire).

40lbs spring, 40 lbs summer. I think it was the dry spell that brought the flowers on early and they crashed and burnt out by the end of june. Basically have bought no surplus in for the last 6 weeks. Some sites pretty good, some pretty poor. I believe access to clover was crucial.

We brought a few to wales for the heather, but it was a half assed effort.

I havent really seen a huge stand of Balsam around by us. Shame really because it seems its a good yielder.

I thought at one point we were in for a huge crop this year. Alas it wasnt to be.

Average of 100lb over your 400 hives. Very impressive - well done. I can just about cope with my 2000lb per year harvest on my own. How big a team do you need to process that 40,000lb's?

Just been through my supers, getting ready to put clearer boards in at weekend. Going to be a poor crop. They are bringing in lots of pollen, but I am sure they have been eating the honey.

Yes, I looked at three hives today (in preparation for re-queening) and was surprised to find many empty combs - despite the bees flying busily = dearth of nectar.

Yes, H balsalm coming in but I have taken all off that I want, about 500lb - so the rest is for the bees. Next week QE out, supers under and let them crack on for the winter build up.
I will be doing a quick assess for varroa but looking at my hives I see very little evidence of varroa damage and if drop v low, will just do sublimation in Dec/Jan (weather dependent)

Average of 100lb over your 400 hives. Very impressive - well done. I can just about cope with my 2000lb per year harvest on my own. How big a team do you need to process that 40,000lb's?

Well its 300 (+100 splits). I have a helper as well for when it gets busy. My sister did a lot of the extracting this year but she did not like the set honey one bit so its likely we'll have to see if we can find someone else next year! Ive starting a twitter feed Chris Manton@Elmtreebees if you're intrested

Well its 300 (+100 splits). I have a helper as well for when it gets busy. My sister did a lot of the extracting this year but she did not like the set honey one bit so its likely we'll have to see if we can find someone else next year! Ive starting a twitter feed Chris Manton@Elmtreebees if you're intrested

It's your full time job then?
I'm still in full time employment.
I'll send you a tweet

With swarming,dud queens and problem hives I'm probably nearer 20lbs a hive average this year.if all hives didn't swarm or have problems I still wouldn't have anywhere near those figures with the weather we've had in wales.and to top it off the heathers hardly produced anything either this yearly

Last edited:
Spent this year getting all my boxes and foundation properly drawn out but 2 production hives and I got 120lbs so reasonably happy. Learning fast so looking forward to next year already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spent this year getting all my boxes and foundation properly drawn out but 2 production hives and I got 120lbs so reasonably happy. Learning fast so looking forward to next year already.

Experience tells me that the amount of honey produced in an apiary is more relevant to the forage around it. It's when you compare yields in the same apiary between different strains of bees you see differences. Or as B+ does with the same strain.
If you want maximum honey production per hive you need to practice migratory beekeeping and take them to the nectar flows (as in heather/borage/lime/rape/balsam etc). As Finman often lets us know the yields per hive can be quite phenomenal.

If you want maximum honey production per hive you need to practice migratory beekeeping and take them to the nectar flows (as in heather/borage/lime/rape/balsam etc). As Finman often lets us know the yields per hive can be quite phenomenal.

Agreed, a real pain moving hives but well worth it. I'm moving everything to Poly. Most of my hives spend their time in the North from around start of March, spring flowers and blueberry, still pollen rich up to October then a 5 month flow on eucalyptus in the south from October until March. Not without serious hassle, varroa has a field day with no brood break, very very difficult to control.

No honey for me this year the flow was on but for the bees not me, splits/Nuc colonies new Queens put pay to that and the cack weather inbetween with the new Queen Nucs that where seriously getting robbed made me drop super frames that i had full of honey into there boxes for a quick fill, my method has worked upto now, not with my ups and downs however next year will tell the story if i get these 3 hives strong for winter which i am aiming for now, because the surrounding fields will most likely be rape.. :confused:

Just over 50lbs off one hive so I'm happy as it's my first harvest.

I would say good tree nectar, but poor summer flow as rain came too late in my part of the country.

Experience tells me that the amount of honey produced in an apiary is more relevant to the forage around it. It's when you compare yields in the same apiary between different strains of bees you see differences. Or as B+ does with the same strain.

I'm a hobby keeper so I won't be moving bees unless I have to. Went from 1 nuc to 3 hives last year with a 12lb crop, 10 fold increase this year, no swarms and still 3 hives so the girls will need to get busy to bring in the 1200lb I am expecting next year. [emoji6][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a hobby keeper so I won't be moving bees unless I have to.

I also consider myself a hobby beekeeper but that doesn't stop me moving a few hives to take advantage of nectar flows.

The furthest I move hives is about 40 miles to the Borage. Only take a couple of hives there.

What's the furthest you move your hives for new forage, Beefriendly?

I was talking about such moves today and next year if i get all three hives through winter and swarming, i may well move the strongest to a Heather moor location which is around a 120 mile round trip just to see what happens.

I don't think I'll be doing any moving, as the honey I'm interested in is already close by.
Peach orchards should give them a good boost to start the acacia flow well, and sweet chestnut follows that. (If we get any rain next year, that is...)

I am looking at alternative apiaries though, possibly with sunflower fields in range, but here in my area, wherever I might put them there will be acacia and chestnut, with a good chance of alfalfa.

Himalayan Balsam strong flow on here, and probably continuing for the next 3 weeks fingers crossed. Usually extract end of September. Looking like my best year so far :party:

Latest posts

Back