Howard rotorvator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As much as a love my mantis rotorvator, I am expanding my plot and like big machines, so am now looking at the Howard range.

But main thing I am looking for is a decent sized machine (cut width and depth) and has to be powered wheels, and the Howard range fits well, the main one being the gem

Does anyone use one? Any tips.

Anyone know of one for sale? Ebay is way over priced.

Yes have seen that one, but as ususal is at the other end of the country.

Would travel maybe 50 miles radius to collect.

sorry but if you want a working howard you have to travel for it as they never come up localy, buy it and have the day out collecting it onn the way home

HP, long time since I have seen you posting- have you been away?

sorry but if you want a working howard you have to travel for it as they never come up localy, buy it and have the day out collecting it onn the way home

Well luckly one has come up just down the road from me, off to view it this afternoon, and try and get a "buy it now" out of him.

It is a nice 350, which I wanted.

Fingers crossed, will post pics if and when I get it.

Last edited:
a working howard 350 is worth about £450 more if it is mint. i prefere the 450 or 500 as it has more weight and is easier to use, when you get one that rares up at you see why they were called men killers though, so mind the revs when going into reverse with it.

sorry for the absence i have a massivly big issue going on at home, so big that all my bee hives have gone to friend for the season because i cant spare the time for them, yep hedgy is bee free this year, hope to get them back for the winter time, if not they will stay where they are till next spring.

sorry for the absence i have a massivly big issue going on at home, so big that all my bee hives have gone to friend for the season because i cant spare the time for them, yep hedgy is bee free this year, hope to get them back for the winter time, if not they will stay where they are till next spring.

Thats a shame hope you can get them back sooner rather than later

a working howard 350 is worth about £450 more if it is mint. i prefere the 450 or 500 as it has more weight and is easier to use, when you get one that rares up at you see why they were called men killers though, so mind the revs when going into reverse with it.

Prices have seen mint ones for have been £350 - £380, and just good working ones, but poor paint £280 - £350

I know what you mean about man killers, the guy was showing me his, and it nearly crawled up his leg whilst he showed me it reversing!

I have never seen a 450 or 500, only other ones seen are Gems.

i only use a howard gem, when they came out they were classed as 400 series, which were i get it from , mine is a 1965 petrol with the jap engine single cylinder. with there being a bigger european machine was the 500. best buy a set of cricket shin pads for when it shoots a stone out the back gaurds as that can bust a shin bone.

i only use a howard gem, when they came out they were classed as 400 series, which were i get it from , mine is a 1965 petrol with the jap engine single cylinder. with there being a bigger european machine was the 500. best buy a set of cricket shin pads for when it shoots a stone out the back gaurds as that can bust a shin bone.

Sorry to correct you Pete, but the 400, 450 and 500 series were completely different to the gem series. I have series 1, 2 and 3 Gems. Bottom Left picture is a 400 series. the others are Top Left a series 1 gem(26th August 1944) with bicycle handle bars, Bottom Right a series2 gem (needing an engine transplant) and Top Right a series 3(18-Apr-1952) which I use regularly and has a 12hp kohler magnum engine fitted

Nice Pics Dave

I am currently part way through my 350 refurb having fully serviced it before stripping down for repaint.

I will post some pics later of a before and after.

PS Of course my spuds will now grow better because it is painted up:troll:

A few pictures of the Howard. I am still just "dry fitting" things before fully fixing, hence whyc some things are not there like controls and decals etc., But pleased how it has gone, apart from I have lost the bit of metal bar that goes from the throttle to the carb, so if anyone has a 350 that either ideally has a spare or can at least measure how long it is and I can make a new one. Thanks

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg

I have in my time got involved in car restoration and currently seven years into an Austin 7 but that rotorvator is a concourse rotorvator without doubt.

Latest posts

Back