How to store an empty hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VixyB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I have a hive that is now empty and I was wondering whether I can leave it over the winter at the apiary?

I live about 4 miles from the apiary, so am hoping to be able to leave it there so that I don't have to transport it backwards and forwards.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'd take it home, clean it, then leave it in the garden until needed. Less likely to be stolen too as you can keep an eye on it.

Thank you! If I store it in my garden, can I leave the frames in it?

There are stores in some of them. Will they be okay in the garage in a brood box or do they need to be kept more carefully?

Thanks

Capped honey is ok in your garage. Make sure nothing can get into the box. Pollen will go mouldy. Best option if you have room is the freezer.

So if I don't have freezer room and there are pollen stores, should I throw those combs away and start again next year?

Thanks

put a solid floor or board and some thing breathable on top of brood box, the bees will clean mouldy coombes up in spring.

Is Danbee still a member of this forum? I seem to recall he or Ken wrote an article in, I think, Beecraft. It mentioned "encouraging" pollen mites(?) so that the pollen in any stored frames was reduced to dust before it could go mouldy and hard as rock. I always wondered what to do to encourage pollen mites: sometimes they seem to find the stored frames and sometimes they don't. This year they didn't...

Any ideas?
ta

As Said the bees will clean the pollen out but I have washed the pollen out with a hose pipe before now

I agree, usually they do, but for some reason this year the pollen was set so hard the bees couldn't clear it out. Even though I scraped the pollen filled areas as far back to the midrib as I could, the bees still couldn't completely remove all of the encrusted bits of pollen...

Latest posts

Back