how to retrieve these

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would personally ask the council to provide a cherrypicker or simuler, if that falls i would try to remove the three branches coming off the nest and then remove, cut, the branch allowing the nest to fall. i would ask some mates in the right PPE to hold a sheet below.Place the Queen in a cage inside a nuc box and using rope hual it back up to collect the flying bees untill sundown.

Dont think the coucil would to too pleased if you started hacking branches off what is probably a protected tree.
Imagine how much a frame of honey weighs, then compare it to what is up that tree.........

Bed sheet made into a draw string bag. Make handles on the bag and tie it on the branch so that one handle is either side of the swarm and cut the comb off with a kitchen knife tied to a piece of wood.

Yup ask council for a cherry picker ;) and jobs a good one

Stick and pillowcase worked. Colony retrieved and put in brood box. Spare space filled with frames (with foundation). I'll leave them no for a couple of weeks to settle in.

SteveJ

Wasn't that heavy only 2-3 kilo if that. Given them a good feed and then I'll make a judgement in a couple of weeks to either leave over winter or combine with a smarm I got back in June. There was only 3 hand sized pieces of comb with brood in.

An amazing swarm - is it possible to put links to the pictures or would people need to be members to see? I think some of these astonishing images can help people see the wonder of bees. Or can we copy an image onto our facebook or similar, crediting you as the owner, of course?

Well done Steve - good job done! What fantastic pics as well.

FB

An amazing swarm - is it possible to put links to the pictures or would people need to be members to see? I think some of these astonishing images can help people see the wonder of bees. Or can we copy an image onto our facebook or similar, crediting you as the owner, of course?

How much stores did thay have? I am guessing not alot, we a had swarm collection this week that settled in a compost bin (4 x comb sheets) and was very suprised to find nil stores on the comb.

Jez

Latest posts

Back