how to mend a beesuit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My mask on my suit in the slightest breeze sits against my nose,i have damaged it by keep pulling it away from my face.It has left 2 slits about a inch long and a inch apart in the mask am i best to sew it or glue it and any suggestions on how to keep it away from my nose!

My mask on my suit in the slightest breeze sits against my nose ...

I have exactly the same problem. And have been stung once on the tip of my nose because of it.

I keep meaning to stick a short length of clear polythene repair tape over the mesh on the inside, to line-up with my nose, and maybe a second piece on the outside as well - so that the pieces stick together through the mesh. But haven't done it yet - 'tis one of those 'round tuit' jobs.

LJ

Baseball cap keeps it off your face.

And it adds a bit of thickness to the back of your head if you are lacking the in hair department:hairpull:

I would sew up the splits not glue, I have torn my veil on brambles previously when taking a swarm and tore a massive set of splits in the side. I used thick thread and then wove in and out of the mesh to create a flat panel (like darning), start weaving in the good mesh either side and just continue across the split. Don't pull the edges together and sew it up you will just create another split at the edge of the sewing.

Ross

I use fishing line to repair mine, then a spot of superglue on the ends to stop it unravelling,

You can buy the netting online, or from a fancy dress shop - one that makes ballet dresses. You need the thickest stuff they sell - it's the thread that's thicker, not the mesh. Cut to shape and hand sew it in place, or ask if they'll do it for you - it won't cost much and will be cheaper than sending if off to a bee-suit maker.

You can buy the netting online, or from a fancy dress shop - one that makes ballet dresses. You need the thickest stuff they sell - it's the thread that's thicker, not the mesh. Cut to shape and hand sew it in place, or ask if they'll do it for you - it won't cost much and will be cheaper than sending if off to a bee-suit maker.

Or if you're nifty with the needle Aldi 27.06.13 are selling enogh fly screen mesh for £3.99 to repair several suits.

Yes was thinking travel screens myself ,mesh would need to be tough enough though ,will have a look though .

Just buy the real deal from your local bee equipment supplier. I know the largest one stocks loose veil mesh because I bought some recently to replace mine. Only cost a few quid for 1m2 and now have enough to last two more replacements.
I know my limits as far as stitching skills are concerned so paid £20 for the stitching service.
Should last me another few more years.

The answers I needed

Very pleased I spotted this thread, as I had the same question. I was going to keep this quite as I have the answers, but I'll let you in on what happened. This week my smoker stopped smoking during my second inspection, so I blew on the burning embers with my hood up... I burnt a small bee sized hold in my brand new veil as a result! The lessons I'm learning as a new beekeeper are many and varied. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/images/icons/icon10.gif

I had to make my veil as I needed something attached to a Hard Hat.

I've used a rather cheap and nasty angler's keep-net, ex-China (like everything else these days). As a keep net, it's bl##dy rubbish, but as a beek veil, it's brilliant. Much tougher than window insect-netting mesh, and almost invisible when worn.
Also came with hoops and a draw-string, so didn't have to make those. Enough material in one keep-net to make two veils, for a couple of quid.

Does need a nose-protector though, if nature has blessed you with a big schnozzle.

LJ

Just a good quality polyester (not cotton) thread - do a repair, like a fisherman would do on a net.

Do you know from where on line BJF? I need to repair some club veils thro heavy handed use by beginners

just ask a friendly pest controller to get you some fibreglass fly screen material, very tough

I have exactly the same problem. And have been stung once on the tip of my nose because of it.

I keep meaning to stick a short length of clear polythene repair tape over the mesh on the inside, to line-up with my nose, and maybe a second piece on the outside as well - so that the pieces stick together through the mesh. But haven't done it yet - 'tis one of those 'round tuit' jobs.

LJ

Just glue a plastic pop bottle cap to the end of your nose - problem solved :)

Latest posts

Back