The siren song from abroad....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
BEWARE the siren song of the videos and books from overseas. We are a Maritime climate not a Contenential one.
It took me 5 years to realise this and goodness knows what pain I inflicted on my bees in the meantime with the best of motives but also true ignorance.
So example. I took a cell and some bees and made up a mini nuc. Something I haver done many many times but this was different I wanted to see if I could build them from purely their own resources into a colony. No supers of needs added or any clever tricks, just basic bee keeping.
The answer was yes. A year and a half later I had a good going 10 frames of brood supered colony. So now I am in Ontario in late September looking at a skep sitting on a bathroom scale reading 112 pounds. I was asked to lift it but declined as for one I had no veil on and two lifting it was bound to damage some combs making the lack of a veil even more important... not a complete idiot eh??
So, the story was this in late June that year the skep was given a brood frame of bees double shook so the flyers were shook of then the non fliers shook in to the skep along with a ripe queen cell. So do the arithmetic. If we call late June week three.... how many weeks to the third week in Sept? I make it 12.
So 12 weeks from the start to a colony, compared to in the English Midlands 70 or so.
I rest my case... and do note the 28C in the 3d week of Sept.... oh I wish.....
So beware the siren song from abroad as they honestly don't know how easy they have it. I'll just add I was colder on the beach in NE Scotland at plus 2 than I was in Niagara at minus 16C... why? Canada was a very dry cold, snowballs were impossible as the snow was too dry.

BEWARE the siren song of the videos and books from overseas. We are a Maritime climate not a Contenential one.
It took me 5 years to realise this and goodness knows what pain I inflicted on my bees in the meantime with the best of motives but also true ignorance.
So example. I took a cell and some bees and made up a mini nuc. Something I haver done many many times but this was different I wanted to see if I could build them from purely their own resources into a colony. No supers of needs added or any clever tricks, just basic bee keeping.
The answer was yes. A year and a half later I had a good going 10 frames of brood supered colony. So now I am in Ontario in late September looking at a skep sitting on a bathroom scale reading 112 pounds. I was asked to lift it but declined as for one I had no veil on and two lifting it was bound to damage some combs making the lack of a veil even more important... not a complete idiot eh??
So, the story was this in late June that year the skep was given a brood frame of bees double shook so the flyers were shook of then the non fliers shook in to the skep along with a ripe queen cell. So do the arithmetic. If we call late June week three.... how many weeks to the third week in Sept? I make it 12.
So 12 weeks from the start to a colony, compared to in the English Midlands 70 or so.
I rest my case... and do note the 28C in the 3d week of Sept.... oh I wish.....
So beware the siren song from abroad as they honestly don't know how easy they have it. I'll just add I was colder on the beach in NE Scotland at plus 2 than I was in Niagara at minus 16C... why? Canada was a very dry cold, snowballs were impossible as the snow was too dry.
I agree, our damp cold is a killer, and not necessarily for bees!

Latest posts

Back