How to keep a frame of brood warm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 at two out apiaries
I want to transfer a frame of sealed brood from an out apiary 15 minutes drive away to give a very small colony a boost. What is the best way to keep it from getting chilled?

Brood is more resilient than one might think.
I simply put the brood frames in a nuc without any heating and I have not noticed any negative effect.

I want to transfer a frame of sealed brood from an out apiary 15 minutes drive away to give a very small colony a boost. What is the best way to keep it from getting chilled?

I have read somewhere that humidity is as much of a problem as temperature in this situation. Wrapping the frame in a slightly damp cloth and putting this in a bag or a box - so that the water cannot evaporate and cool the comb - might be the answer although I have never had to do this myself.

CVB

Both of the above.

Humidity is only really a problem for eggs / larvae, if it's sealed brood just pop the frame in a box / nuc and drive it there.

It should be a frame of emerging brood, and maybe only a part frame at that. Emerging brood should not present any problem at all.

It should be a frame of emerging brood, and maybe only a part frame at that. Emerging brood should not present any problem at all.

As long as you transport it in some sort of container... Some may have emerged by the time you arrive.

Latest posts

Back