How to convert an old fridge into a honey warming cabinet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeOnMyWay

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Good work definitely need to build one of these in the hope of honey next year! :)

I converted and old draw into the base of a HWC, I just stack supers on top to put the buckets or jars in. It cost less than £5.

I don't know why the links are not working, but the URL appears to have been blocked. The missing bit is ****************.co.uk

URL is being blocked for some reason. This is not a commercial site, and it's not spam, so I have no idea why. Google 'Diary of a nervous beekeeper' and follow the links.

OK. I appear to have innocently broken the forum rules by linking to my own website. Given that the website is non-commercial, doesn't sell anything and is entirely about beekeeping I can't help but feel that I have slipped between the cracks, but I recognise that the rules are there to protect us all. I genuinely thought the instructions might prove helpful. If you Google 'How to make a honey warming cabinet out of an old fridge' in due course I'm sure you'll find them.

Looks like the bad news is on "elf an' safety". Here is my response and bluntly, too.

Aqueous liquids and possible condensation above electic fittings is a hazard and is easily avoided. Any drips onto an incandescent light bulb is highly likely to crack the bulb and leave electically live contact points and possibly a 'live' floor area.

Incandescent bulbs are very hot in operation and are a burn hazard, along with the risk of breakage and electric shock from the live contacts thereby exposed.

Sooo, no electrics below possible liquid level, a 'disconnect mains' door switch, or protective covers over the lamps are some options for a safer installation.

Yes, loads of old warming cabinets were made with a couple 20W bulbs under the bucket, enclosed in an insulated box. Most have had no problem, but that does not make them safe in the present litigious climate, nor absolve you from responsibility of any silly b*gger copying your plans and subsequently severly burning themselves or even getting electrocuted.

Unless you know what you are doing, you are best advised to avoid/remove those details from your blog. Yes, common sense seems to have died years ago!

Links work fine for me - and so do the instructions. Even a DIY dummy like me could follow it - much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back