How much thymol in syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 bucket = 1 teaspoon thymol mix (or rather a 6ml shot from a syringe.)

that would be an Imperial 1 gallon bucket, not a USA type gallon ?

I recon a 1 Imp gallon is 4.6 liters ( S I not old french liters that were different)

Whats the time?
13.35 GMT ... er sorry UCT less 14 minutes to adjust for my longitude west of Greenwich plus one hour for BST and add the 14 minutes back on because for some reason London rules even down here in the depths of the West Country..and its time for the little ones to be picked up from school!!!

you can find some extraordinarily precise calculator-sized scales cheaply
:iagree:
They are often listed as postage scales, a surprisingly legitimate use which they are very good at. They can save pounds in postage if you send cards or small gifts abroad and previously tended to over stamp when not sure.

A 500g example I have scales by 0.1g and the tare function is incredibly useful. Perfect for measuring 50g doses of apiguard etc. How accurate? 5 pound coins is a nominal 47.5g, a couple of samples read 47.6 and 47.7. Pound in 2p coins (nominal 356g) reads 357.5 in the bag.

They do need to be flat and on a hard surface but that's plenty accurate enough for my purposes without resorting to stamped trade weights.

1 bucket = 1 teaspoon thymol mix (or rather a 6ml shot from a syringe.)
Over the years I have added a couple of black builders buckets to the buy on most visits to the diy sheds. Are they still 99p? Most have a scale on the side to 14 litres by 2 litre marks. Not entirely convinced how accurate but they hold considerably more than 9 litres (2 UK, i.e. Weights and Measures Act 1824 gallons).

I'm talking small ones that were 99p in the place that shall not be named some months back.

Perfect for me - one bucket = 1 feeder = 1 hive.

at "out" apiary - use 5 litre water bottles.

I buy my syrup in plastic buckets with lids. They are sold here by weight not volume! Not knowing what equivalency but guessing it to be closer to 2:1 rather 1:1 sugar:water I guess my syrup equivalent to 3.5x5ml of HM's thymol mix. There's absolutly nothing scientific there just rough estimations and I know that once mixed I can smell and taste the thymol in the syrup. Good enough for me this year, and the bees are taking it down readily so hopefully its good enough for them too.

I buy my syrup in plastic buckets with lids. They are sold here by weight not volume! Not knowing what equivalency but guessing it to be closer to 2:1 rather 1:1 sugar:water I guess my syrup equivalent to 3.5x5ml of HM's thymol mix. There's absolutly nothing scientific there just rough estimations and I know that once mixed I can smell and taste the thymol in the syrup. Good enough for me this year, and the bees are taking it down readily so hopefully its good enough for them too.

AND,,,, you will have bucketloads of heathy bees next spring!

( unless the OA trickle kills them !)
not worthy

AND,,,, you will have bucketloads of heathy bees next spring!

( unless the OA trickle kills them !)
not worthy

is there any evidence of OA treatment killing bees? I thought it only killed Varroa?

is there any evidence of OA treatment killing bees? I thought it only killed Varroa?

I understand it can damage the queen in time as she can be exposed to a number of doses during her lifetime.

Same difference eventually:

http://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7022

RAB

That was a bit tangential- I suspect part of Rab's slightly zen way of trying to make us think for ourselves.

Some people OA think can damage bees. Considering the number of people who use it with no problems, I suspect that some people lose a colony for whatever reason, having treated with OA, and put 2 and 2 together; and some bees are harmed by incorrect application (after all, most medicines are toxic in excess).

Latest posts

Back