How much of a problem are wax moths?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many of your hives have wax moths

• Upto 100%

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Upto 80%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Upto 60%

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Upto 40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upto 20%

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • None

Votes: 44 63.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Female wax moths are attracted to the males which emit pheromones and ultrasonic squeaks. Both species use different pheromones and sound frequencies/pulse lengths

Nope; no pheromones, no pesticides, no nasties. Just thousands and thousands of wax moths.

I meant, are you going to invent a means of eradicating wax moth, such as a pheromone trap :)

I meant, are you going to invent a means of eradicating wax moth, such as a pheromone trap :)

Already have invented 'the means' to do so which doesn't use pheromones (or anything else that's nasty). Just trying to decide whether there's any merit in commercializing it and whether there's sufficient demand.

Is there a need?
The common pop bottle wasp traps catch them.

OK. Useful to know. Just a shame they don't catch wasps efficiently but that's digressing from the thread! :D:D:D

Karol, I put one of your traps up in 2011 and my hives were not bothered by wasps whereas others that I know of were.
No wasps last year....not even on the cotoneaster tree where there are thousands historically. Not seen any this year so far.

Already have invented 'the means' to do so which doesn't use pheromones (or anything else that's nasty). Just trying to decide whether there's any merit in commercializing it and whether there's sufficient demand.
After seeing the damage and mess wax moth did last year, I'd be your first customer! :D

Back