How much honey per hive 2014?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why i posted my more modest probable 30lbs a hive total so those of us who are newer beeks realise that 90lbs a hive is a target to aim for with knowledge, experience and a fair wind.

And a measure of good weather, good luck and a good strain of bees - as well as good management. Hate to see people discouraged before they even get going.

:bump:

Sure, but happy bees are productive bees, and happy productive bees makes an unhappy beekeeper from the work needed to clear that lot.
What concerns me if anything is that with an early start to the year, we're also seeing an early end, so the winter could be long and we must think ahead now to leave enough stores through decent feeding to see them through. Better unused stores in March than a colony dead from starvation in April, you can always uncap what's not been used in March to force them to use it first. That might even have been a useful extra boost last March, in fact.

What concerns me is someone advising to pile on feed indiscriminately and too early without thinking of judging the stores situation and seeing their bees safely through winter without leaving a pile of sugar syrup on in the spring which could then end up being mixed with next year's harvest.
Get their winter stores in when needed, monitor by hefting throughout the winter and use fondant when/if needed after OA (and a quick stores check) mid winter.

We have just bottled our mini harvest. About 35 lbs in total from a nuc and a colony. Which computes to all the Christmas shopping done without leaving the house! We have bottled into 8 oz and 4 oz jars and the rest as cut comb. It all looks like jewels on the shelf alongside the redcurrant jelly and the raspberry and redcurrant jam. I think we may get a little more as our girls are bringing in HB like a steam train! Every time it stops raining...they are off in hordes. It has been a wonderful journey this summer. Thrilled with our new hobby.

just to remind everyone it's not all about the honey.............. but it helps !

Best colony was a swarm I caught in a bait hive this year. It has produced 150lbs. The queen was very prolific and laid far more brood than my other colonies.

My best hive also a swarm in a bait hive from last year produced 150lbs but the rest of the hive’s the typical mixed bag. One apiary under performed largely down to another beekeeper moving in next door with eight big hives when five max was agreed but despite this I have averaged around 60lbs per hive and happy with my 500lbs+ estimate.

The best thing this year is I am making good contacts on selling the honey and have teamed up with someone who gets a pound an ounce for her honey. We will not manage that for all the honey, but she has a great sales pitch and ideas to match and very happy to tag along. Obviously.

I'll ask one after we have crap season when he's struggling to pay his bills due the poor cash flow. Sentimentality doesn't pay the mortgage

Just remember to leave some for the bees..

It worries me that some new beekeepers are taking all that flows in attempt to get their 'first crop'. Bees dying of starvation is poor beekeeping!!!

It worries me that some new beekeepers are taking all that flows in attempt to get their 'first crop'. Bees dying of starvation is poor beekeeping!!!

Feed with sugar. It is easy and nothing wrong in it.

To use excluder and keep brood box small means that a beekeeper can harvest all honey from hives. So simple fact.

How many pounds of honey per hive are people expecting this season?
I'm yet to extract, but interested what would be a rough average to expect from a decent disease free colony.

As this is an expectation question and not a what did you get question I would expect to get an average of 80-90lb per 'stock' average in an average year etc.
Some hives more, some less.

Mine get the ivy nectar

But ivy can set quite hard and if we have a bad winter bees cannot get out for water so can starve with bulk ivy stores.
I also get ivy but mix with 2:1 syrup feed to try and help stores be more useable.

But ivy can set quite hard and if we have a bad winter bees cannot get out for water so can starve with bulk ivy stores.
I also get ivy but mix with 2:1 syrup feed to try and help stores be more useable.

It does set but in my experience nothing the bees can't handle. Bit of a myth. H2O is also a waste product of respiration and is availae to some extent inside the hive. If in doubt then water can be provided. My bees have overwintered exclusively on ivy over the last four years that included some pretty harsh winters without me providing water.

Latest posts

Back