how much honey in 2010?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
So thanks to everyone who posted to my thread on honey pricing. Some of the replies got me thinking about just how much honey people had last year.

So I have 2 further questions:

1. How much honey in total did you have in 2010?
2. What was your per hive average?

My own was 165lbs with 140 from 1 hive and 25 from the other. So an average of 82.5lbs per hive. This surprised me as I believed Hampshires average was around 44lbs per hive.

I realise there are many affecting factors but the numbers still intrigue me...
Sam

I split one colony three ways last year and took about 90lbs of honey but with no colony requiring feeding going into winter. 1 colony was a late nuc so I had about 65-70lbs from one and 20-25 from the other.

I could have had about 50lbs more but I left the supers on just before the lovely summer turned into the wet summer and the bees munched through a couple of supers worth, but better than having to feed sugar I feel.

As Nellie pointed out, figures are approximately useless unless you only include colonies which were not interfered with in any other way.

Things which can make a huge difference is splitting, reinforcing, sugar feeding in autumn (a negative), feeding in winter, when a colony (eg nuc or a split) is included in the statistics, requeening from a bank (or by queencell), and colony numbers (those with a few hives will skew their results far more than those with a lot (RC, per eg).

I could quote one colony. Continually reinforce, requeen with a new season queen, move the same colony from OSR, to beans, to OSR, to other, take off every skerrit of stored honey and ignore any sugar fed back. That might give me a fantastic 'apparent' crop, but would disregard the other supporting colonies and costs in any statistics.

So please treat any adulterated results with the respect they deserve, or even unadulterated results without clarification of how they were arrived at.

RAB

Last edited:
130lb from one hive which was split in May due to it being double brood and coming out of winter queenless (a right pain in the a hole that caused) Most of the bees went back into one hive which was the producer. Did not move from my back garden.

Baggy

Didnt get any honey only got bees august out of old hive had 2 completly destroy old hive was dropping 2 bits looking 4ward 2 this year. Better think about investing in a spinner

Rab,
All points accepted but I am just interested in how much people got. I see that Heather shifted roughly 200lbs from the gate and that got me wondering how much people were getting big or small. I guess regardless of circumstances. Perhaps I should have said that I was interested in the actual average from honey producing hives...pretty unsophisticated really.

Just looking to see if last year could be regarded as a good, above the norm, year.

All the best,
Sam

From the South East

entered in error.

Last edited:
over the last 25 years i have consistanty averaged about 50/60lb per hive and i have never taken my bees to a high yield crop, nor have they ever had it planted within their reach. I only ever had one bad year, when they adverages 8lb per hive

Latest posts

Back