how much honey can a super hold?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got 27lbs from one today.

You are too modest - I know that Beauhawk got 27lbs from each of two supers today because I was there to witness the happy event. Over 50lbs from a package installed in May - I should be so lucky (and maybe I will be if I can get the flipping' insects out of the supers, but that's another thread).

3lbs for a super frame is the oft-quoted figure....

It is, and it would make a national shallow super holding only eight frames contain 24lbs, but one with twelve frames would contain 36lb.

Last edited:
I've seen a National 9-frame shallow weigh in at 55lb including the weight of super and frames. It was one of those cases where the bees had outgrown their hive before the beekeeper could add more supers. There was barely a bee space left anywhere.

I would have thought the less frames the greater the weight of honey, they build the wax out to a bee space, hence more honey. So nine frames would get you a greater crop than twelve, hence the wide spacers.
E

I would have thought the less frames the greater the weight of honey, they build the wax out to a bee space, hence more honey. So nine frames would get you a greater crop than twelve, hence the wide spacers.
E

...:icon_204-2::iagree:

Latest posts

Back