How many supers will l need

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have one strong colony in a national hive with a super on with winters stores and one small colony in a national hive with no super on and a nuc . How many supers will l need to bring me trough to the end of the year? This will be my first full bee season.
Regards
Liam C

Oh, Oh, Oh, me,me, me, can I answer this one and show that I do read some of the threads...
Is the answer 3 at least?

Brian

Brian, I would agree, and I would hope we will fill three supers with the amber nectar. but Liam if you have a good patch it could be Five or it may be a really bad year again and you get er one - ish... plan for five hope for four and see what happens... and for the spell checkers I was tempted but resisted, the numbers of my posts with errors, ah well...though, I suppose, a little- I hope it runneth over is a positive support?

Last edited:
three at a min and 4 for comfort.
PH (I think I mentioned this)

its all depends on the bees and the area, my best bees had 8 on while others only had 2, so get as many as you can get i would suggest 5 per hive as a average, other my disagree tho

I would say 5+. But obviously it depends what happens next summer swarming, weather etc.

Ben P

Many thanks for all your replies , I have four supers so l will get a couple more and thanks Chycarne for the spelling check .
Regards
Liam C

Liam,
wait till you see some more from me... my fingers will give plenty of oppertunity for revenge, just couldnt resist... sorry!!! Good luck with your beasties look forward to reading of 5 full supers

and get a few spares and a couple of broods and a couple of roofs and a couple of QE and OMF floors......... and and and.......

try to stick to one type of hive tho!!!!

If you are quite new to beekeeping and increasing your supers, compared to beekeepers who have plenty of drawn supers your bees will have to use up energy drawing comb so this will reduce the amount of honey you would otherwise get.

6 is not enough.

I would politely suggest investing in more, on this basis.

You have two colonies and a nuc. With no real effort that will give you at least three by the end of this season.

Working on an average of at least three per colony.... go figure.

PH

It is always best to have a spare super or two as stated by others but you can also remove full supers extract the frames then replace the super to be refilled.

You can get away with two per colony.

But it reqires a lot of swapping about of frames and risk of swarming. One has to remove full frames and replace with new, so need some sort of transport box. Also need to do it often (very often!). In a good year for doing this, you may not get a lot of crop. In a bad year they will be overflowing by May!

How would I know this? My starting year was with 2 x National and 2 x WBC. Can't remember how many WBC supers I got but I do remember my mentor catching a swarm in his bait hive - it was probably mine as his garden was <1 km as the bees flew - and I started with two supers for the Nationals and I was soon struggling.

My Nationals did not swarm but I remember well - as that was the only year that I bought supers at full Th*rne prices and hurriedly assembled same! - that two was nowhere near enough really. After the OSR was finished I was OK with three, as I recall, but there was little forage available after the OSR, of course, as the bees needed to fly much further afield for forage.

So to recap, two might be enough if your forage is thin on the ground and spread evenly throughout the season; to cope you would need to inspect and change frames very regularly. With only two there is a much increased risk of swarming - think, strong colonies may need a double brood, let alone a complete home little larger than that.

Take PH's advice and go for 4 per colony. Maybe one or two less, in total, dependent on the strength of the colonies at the season start.

The alternative is to split the colonies into new broods (to reduce any potential nectar crop). So your original question has insufficient information, really. Apart from cost, having too many is tantamount to taking up the floor space of a single hive; not having enough is somewhat more annoying.

RAB

I am basing my comments on this.

Extracting at 3am in order to have the supers to put on that morning is not fun, nor amusing, just hot sweaty and exhausting.

I try on here to help people avoid the errors of my past. Oh and before I get asked I have made every error it is possible to make, and some that are improbable.

PH

Liam who asked the question shows 2.5 hives at the moment I don’t think he will be up to 3am extracting a few supers ph

Latest posts

Back