How many supers will l need

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try on here to help people avoid the errors of my past.

Precisely! I documented my findings of my first year as evidence for the OP to decide for himself. Should be adequately clear if he reads it carefully. I hate people just blindly accepting supposed 'evidence' without any actual basis of fact shown.

RAB

Polyhive is correct. You need to have enough supers for the hives and ideally some spare.... just in case. Don't forget to think about over crowding as well.

4 or even 5 supers as a working average would be a good figure to aim for, depending on how much forage is available to the bees.

It's no fun having to do an emergency extraction ... unless of course you've now't else to do.

Also, at the height of the season it's not much fun when you've got to make up kit, or find a supplier who can send you some to make up at short notice.

Four supers per colony would be a good amount to have,thats why i simply stated the need for another 11.

I deffo think 4 per hive on average and the buggers can fill these in no time. Pretty much irrelevant that one hive is a nuc it will come out of winter wanting to get big quick depending on what forage you have around the hives.

never have enough kit.

Quite agrre. I gave my first year experience (or rather inexperience) as an example.

Some were not able to ingest it as such, it seems

Latest posts

Back