How long is a honey bees stinger?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattiker

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
How long is a honey bee's stinger?

Interested primarily in knowing how far they can insert the said stinger, given a nice soft bit of flesh :eek:

Anyone have any scientifically researched figures?

Thanks.

The attached is at x400 I took a while back, on that basis it makes the full sting length (tip to base of sack) 1.8mm - based on a physical sample of 1!

Wow that is straight out of Alien (Off to see Prometheus next week and scared already)

sometimes it feels about 4 inches and 200 degrees celcius

Bee Stinger

If I had seen this earlier I might not have started beekeeping and taken up a safer hobby like bullfighting!

The little sod that was running around the crack of my a*** this weekend had a stinger about 4'6", or he may as well have done. WAY too close for comfort:biggrinjester:

Luckilly she decided my love handles were a better targetnot worthy

Ow, not looking forward to being on the receiving end of one of those lol

Dont worry not trying to frighten anyone cumbrian, I think I saw it posted one other time on the forum.

Steve

How long is a honey bee's stinger?

Interested primarily in knowing how far they can insert the said stinger, given a nice soft bit of flesh :eek:

Anyone have any scientifically researched figures?

Thanks.
The stinging part is in two pieces, horizontally opposed and able to move independently. A bit like holding two saw blades together and pullin one up while pushing the other down. This action drives the sting deeper to inject venom as deeply as possible. Given the venom sacs on outside of stung area comes the sound advice of scraping out the sting rather than pulling, which will squeeze more venom into the sting site.

Given the venom sacs on outside of stung area comes the sound advice of scraping out the sting rather than pulling, which will squeeze more venom into the sting site.

There have been recent studies (sorry can't find ref at moment) which show the most important aspect of removing a sting is time, whether you scrape or squeeze just get it out quick!

As a new Beek. I took my first two hits on the same day (I'm expecting more as the weather is so awful and some stuff is essential). Once inspecting local association hives and later my own.

What I found, after having been stung by wasps where I have 'strimmed' their nest exit is, at least our ladies can only sting once. I find wasps find that patch and go multiple times in pretty quick succession.

I was 'pleasantly surprised' with my two stings as I expected worse. But then I guess everyone is different?

Latest posts

Back