How long for new queen to start laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidwd

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Performed an AS due to charged queen cups, in the queenless hive 9 days ago one of the queen cups had fresh wax on the edges so it looked as if they were just starting to extend it.

When should i expect the queen to hatch and start piping?

If she mates succesfully when should i start to see eggs?

I tried to take a look yesterday but they were to grumpy.

David

queen hatches on day 15 to 17.
mating flights on day 20 to 24 but can take a couple of weeks depending on weather.
check for eggs on day 30,this can take longer depending on weather

When did you do the split and at what point was the "Charged cell"?

16 days to hatch and a further three or four before fit to mate. Say 20 days, and from that point (able to fly) can be another three weeks beofre she gets the weather to achieve her mating successfully.

PH

Thanks Potheroe,

Are you quoting days after the cell was being extended or after the egg was laid in the cup?

Thanks PH,

9 days ago did the split and the qc had a pool of royal jelly and the cup was just being extended.

David

Depends. If they cast, expect it to be longer.

If it was queenless nine days ago one of the capped cells - when you didn't do an A/S (how can you remove the queen if it was Q-?) - will have emerged already.

and start piping?

She may not.

If she mates succesfully when should i start to see eggs?

About three or four days later.

Patience. How long is that piece of string. Anything up to a month or more would be the answer.

From doing my split to eggs/larvae took four weeks. The queen would have emerged during the wet April weather we had. Wasn't until middle of May that she got going.

Bobster

Hi Oliver,
I made the hive queenless when i did the split 9 days ago, the new hive has the queen and she is laying well.

The old hive has the qc's at the point of being extended 9 days ago, i dont think i have lost a swarm as there were no sealed cells.

D

Thanks bobster,

I am a little impatient. Hopefully see some queen flights soon.

D

Ahh, a second sentence. I understand it now. How many queen cells are there in the parent colony now? If several, there may be a cast, or two, or more.

I think i only left 1, but have not been able to check this week. When the weather improves i will make sure there is still only the 1.

Even if you only left one (and you did say 'qc's'?) there may have been many more built after that.

When the weather improves

If the weather doesn't improve soon enough, you may be too late.

Thank you,

I dont suppose there is much i can do except destroy any other qc's as soon as i can?

D

Latest posts

Back