How long can you have hives closed up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnF

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I had to move my hives 30ft tonight due to flood water.
How long can I leave the entrance sealed as there is more rain due and it's unlikely that I can put them back for a few days or would I just be better moving them away for a while?

If they are on open mesh floors - leave them sealed for weeks.

If not - provide ventilation by covering feed holes with wire gauze

Last edited:
Clearly, moving them away would be the better option if that is not too difficult in the circumstances.

Problem in my hives has been that when the hive stays iver night, bees often find a hole to come out but they can not return.
Life teaches, or it should try to do.

I saw from news that you had a bad rain there. We are going to get 20 cm snow after 3 days. I must bye winter styres.

Last edited:
What about cleansing flights then?

This time of year it is unwise to leave for weeks due to temperature variations - a day or two at most. Stuff entrance with grass for them to remove but leave OMF open.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Water is going down now as almost as fast as it came so should be able to put 2 or 3 back in the original position tomorrow. They all have OMF and all except one sound quite, I could take them to another site I have but it appears that rodents (or woodpeckers) have been nibbling the hives last week. Extra woodpecker guards are on the “To Do” list but not sure if they would be of any use as I suspect large rodents are the culprits.

Latest posts

Back