How does the feeder in a poly nuc work?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abi-e

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 at the bottom of the garden.
Probably a daft question, but I have no idea...
I have a poly nuc with a built in feeder on one side. How does the feeder work - do I just fill it with syrup? I am used to using a contact feeder on top of a crown board, and I can't work it out.
To make matters worse I have just put it in to use! Help please.

Well it is as simple as it looks. As you have discovered the first part is to put in the syrup.

the 2nd part, and equally vital is to put in a float of some sort. I use what happens to be to hand if I have lost the "official" float aka a bit of wood. So straw, leaves and twigs all work fine.

PH

You will find that once they have finished the syrup they will build comb in it so try and block the gap between the main box and the feeder when not in use!
E

Brilliant thank you - It just seemed too simple!! They have a frame of stores at the mo, but I would rather supplement with some syrup.

Assuming it's the poly nuc from P a y n e s (or even if it isn't) it's also worth putting a small strip of QE in the 'notch' leading to the feeder. There's a narrow slot cut into the poly and - once empty - you can then add a piece of plastic (e.g. from an ice cream tub lid) to stop the bees building brace comb in there.

Did you paint the inside of the feeder? It really needs to be sealed or the syrup soaks into the poly. If it's too late now then remember to do it once you've moved the bees into a hive and given it a good change to dry out. You can dilute exterior masonry paint 1:1 with water and slosh it around in there. Give it several coats to be sure.

Back