How do you Overwinter Your Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some may need to look at the physical barrier, afforded to wind flow, with an OMF.

Barriers of perforated plastic fencing is oft used to considerably reduce air flow for sheep pens etc., even with wind direction on the normal. Once the angle of incidence increases, particularly with a woven mesh, the barrier to air flow becomes even more considerable.

GJ's boxes, being 14 x 12, afford even more 'turbulence reduction' with the cluster able to retreat almost completely within the honeycomb structure.

Bee colonies will happily survive in sheltered corners of outside brickwork, etc. Remember, the bees will build comb which prevents flow between the combs (sealed off at the top?). Framed hives are designed to encourage that bee space all around the nest, so is not a 'natural' over-wintering environment. Air flow past, around and through the comb, as it convects through a hive with gaping holes at the top, is not conducive to ease of winterig for the bees; at best they will need to provide more thermal energy - so will need to consume more stores.

Or maybe they could use the mesh for an easier route in.

I find the bees keep the solid floors pretty clear of debris, which of course they could not if it was a slide left in under a mesh floor.

Also, we are taught not to drop any wax or anything in the apiary to avoid attracting pests. With an open mesh floor you have debris constantly falling through the mesh and littering below the hive to attract all and sundry. Not too hygenic. They only seem to be good for one thing, ventilation, but it is overkill. I used solid floors because they were cheap and easy to make and you can use them with poly hives instead of buying poly floors which are expensive and don't have any extra value by being poly.

Last edited:
Overwinter..
Colonies have to be successfully treated against varroa ( on time), free of nosema, right quality and quantity of food, decent cluster, at least good queen.. Then I can place it without walls, just roof above and wall from north side, the rest can be wired mesh and they will overwinter easily.
I want to say, pointless are some technics and shiny modern hives if inside you have hospital or home for the elderly..
As I said if I have " right stuff" in the hives I don't care for overwintering, anyway I don't care much.. If they die, there is logical reason and it is 99% beekeepers fault.
Better to pay more attention on bees and their biology then can play with hive constructions..
Personally I overwinter usually on two boxes, upper is bb and beneath is box with empty combs ( 2 from sides are removed). Recently I place food grade nylon above - on top bars. I don't say it is the best or someone should do this way - for now.. Just for the info..
As one beek over here said, I had hives with mesh floor and open during winter ( in spring closing)and solid floor hives. There were no difference, simmilar development and honey yields, so he abandoned mesh ones.. Easier and better to bees clean their home..

Latest posts

Back