How can I identify the source of angry scout bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seal all but one hive when it gets dark. If you get attacked when going near the hives the following morning, then you know its the unsealed one. If not, then release them one by one and see which release results in attacks.

Yes, thanks - much better idea than OP.

Im only a third year beekeeper but one thing I have noticed is that every spring when I first start opening my hives after winter. Is that that all of my bees seem a bit miffed off with my presence, I put it down to the fact that they ain't been disturbed for a while, and suddenly the roof of there nice warm house is ripped off and they send out the guards,, who are then on high alert for a good few days, at this time I start to smoke as I walk up to em,give em a good blast through the entrance and crown board then leave em for ten mins it seems to work and after a few more hive openings your back to that soothing hive hum and can check em gloveless again,,, only an observation mind !

Back