Hot Wire Knife

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20277

New Bee
Reaction score
I've been watching some vids of uncapping comb and it seems to me that hot wire knife would be much more efficient in terms of speed and honey recovered as the 'blade' is a fraction of a millimetre wide so very litte honey would stick to it. Has anybody tried this?

I've been watching some vids of uncapping comb and it seems to me that hot wire knife would be much more efficient in terms of speed and honey recovered as the 'blade' is a fraction of a millimetre wide so very litte honey would stick to it. Has anybody tried this?
works... but you still have a mess of sticky cappings to deal with!

It's not hard to use an uncapping fork and a cappings knife ... why complicate things ? The fork actually removes the cappings and with an appropriate blade mounted in your frame jig you just scrape them off. A hot wire might remove them but they will stay on the face of the comb and clog up your honey when you extract them. Sort yourself out with something like this arrangement and watch the video for the technique. (I tend to run the form down the frame not across it and a sharp knife sorts out any irrelgular comb).

]

Attachments

• Uncappinjg tray 1.jpg
    Uncappinjg tray 1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Uncappinjg tray 2.jpg
    Uncappinjg tray 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 19
Back