Hot tips from experience

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rule 1 - ask for help from a wiser beek if stuck.
Rule 1000, same as rule 1.not worthy

When cutting the grass around your hives on a borrowed 90'' Ransome diesel ride on mower ensure you are proficient in its use before you try and get closer and closer..............
Yesterday at 8 am I clipped the stand on a national with 3 supers and the whole thing came down, lots of angry bees, lots of damaged frames and sticky mess. I was already suited (previous lesson) and had to hastily reassemble the tower. Just hope I didnt nip the queen :banghead:
My own stupid fault.
Pete D

When cutting the grass around your hives on a borrowed 90'' Ransome diesel ride on mower ensure you are proficient in its use before you try and get closer and closer..............
Yesterday at 8 am I clipped the stand on a national with 3 supers and the whole thing came down, lots of angry bees, lots of damaged frames and sticky mess. I was already suited (previous lesson) and had to hastily reassemble the tower. Just hope I didnt nip the queen :banghead:
My own stupid fault.
Pete D

Today at 8 am the assembly of a hard standing for said hives began.

That really was nearly one for the Darwin Awards - would have been unsuited! I expect that batch of bees will now be totally mower-averse...

Just because a collected swarm and a shook swarm shouldn't swarm again in the same season doesn't mean they won't when there is tons of OSR coming in... and those aren't supersedure cells :-(

If you use an open mesh floor on your hives and put them up on a hive stand with room to stick your head underneath*, you can quickly see how many frames they're covering in the BB without opening the hive up during cooler months.

*Fully suited. They can object quite strenuously if you take a peak up their skirts.

1)
6) Don't wear Burt's Bees honey lip balm when inspecting your hives,

Is that because of the strong menthol smell or am I missing something? It is currently my lipbalm of choice and so far no problems although will err on the side of caution.

just because there is larvae doesnt mean all is well could still be a drone layer

Just because you listen to the bees, it does not mean the bees will listen to you.

Mike

Don't stand under a swarm without your veil done up :rolleyes:

unless your wellies are tight fitting, tuck your suit into your socks.

if you find a hole in your beesuit, repair it. the girls will also be sure to find it.

If you use an open mesh floor on your hives and put them up on a hive stand with room to stick your head underneath*, you can quickly see how many frames they're covering in the BB without opening the hive up during cooler months.

*Fully suited. They can object quite strenuously if you take a peak up their skirts.

or another idea is to stick your phone camera underneath said mesh floor and you can film the bees :)

Alan

It beats the sh*t out of having that crawling feeling on your inner thigh - especially in the middle of an inspection.

Actually, I seldom wear wellies, only when i suspect there may be problems.

Always make sure your suit is zipped up when visiting the bees.
Always make sure your suit is zipped up when visiting angry bees

Latest posts

Back