Hospital treatment as result of sting-what to expect next

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nesshughes

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Yesterday afternoon my bees decided to crawl down a gap in my gloves and sting me multiple times on the forearm and palm of the hands. This was entirely my fault as weather conditions weren't perfect but I have been struggling to find a good day to look at them. I was aware that I had received many more stings than I ever had before, and when I have been stung previously it just results in localised swelling and itching, though sometimes a little worse if on a joint.
About 10 minutes after being stung yesterday I began to feel a bit wobbly, my head was pounding and I was getting very hot. My lips and face then began to swell and I realised I would have to seek treatment, so only being 10 minutes from hospital we set off in the car thinking it would be quicker than waiting for an ambulance. Half way there I began to panic a little as my lips were swollen to the point where I was finding it difficult to speak BUT when I calmed down I was aware that I had no problems with breathing. I was rushed stright through A&E on arrival as I looked a bit of a sight by then and they tried to begin treatment though this proved difficult as my arms were swollen to the point that they struggled to fine my veins. As I was put on oxygen as my sats were low and they then managed to get steroids and piritone into me by IV. Things started to improve quite quickly though I was kept in overnight for monitoring. I should say that as things progressed I become swollen and covered in a rash all over my body, right down to my feet.
I suppose the question is where do I go from here? The doctor I saw this morning said it wasn't a complete anaphylactic shock as they had adrenaline ready but didn't need to use it as I began to inprove on my own, but I would just have to wait to see how I react in the future. I was wondering whether anyone has experienced anything similar and found it to be a one off, or if it could happen again, or indeed be worse than last time.
I have been keeping bees for 3 years and have never had a problem like this, I love beekeeping and would hate to give it up but on the way in the car I was thinking that as I have 3 children is it sensible to take any more risks.
I know there are some doctors and people with experience of this kind of thing out there, and any advive or opinions would be appreciated.Many thanks.

Bearing in mind that I only have what you posted to go on, it certainly sounds like a severe allergic reaction, which had an effect on your whole sytem, rather than just locally where the bees actually stung you. In which case the doctor saying it was not "complete" anaphylactic shock is rather academic and perhaps playing with words.

It needs taking very serious notice of on your behalf. Next time it could be complete ( whatever he meant by that).

I would suggest you chat it over with your GP before you next get near bees.

If you want to go on keeping bees, certain things can help, but avoid until you have sought more medical advice.

Dr. Ex ( Medical doctor)

I had similar experience about 5 years ago. Proper drama. I got rushed past the drunks and gansters and straight onto IV steroids. They almost had the shunt in the back of my hand before they had all my details down.

For a while I used to carry an epipen. They only last an year though and I just have a normal reaction to bee stings, it was only that I got stung hundreds of times that my eyes, mouth, windpipe and ears were closing. Don't bother carrying it anymore. Now I make an effort to avoid being stung because I realised it can kill you.

I now wear a proper all in one beesuit, that is too big for me, so if they sting the suit they don't sting me. The sleeves and legs are a bit long, so that if I stretch to lift a big brood box, my wrists and ankles are still covered.

It took weeks for the bee venom to completely go out of my body, and when I got stung again in that period, I have a bigger reaction as if the venom reservoir had been topped up. I now kill all over defensive queens. If I wave my hand over the brood box and they sting it, I will kill her.

There may be something in the 'reservoir' effect. My daughter was stung on the head which resulted in swollen eyes etc. A couple of weeks later she was stung in more or less the same area and had what the hopital (in Australia) called a severe, systemic reaction, rash, swelling, nausia and they issued her with an epipen.

I've heard bad reactions can occur when the victim is on certain prescription drugs. There does seem to be an increase in reactions, though probably because of being more aware through keeping bees. As kids we were just sent up the shop for a 'blue bag'. Trying to avoid being stung has to be a good idea IMO.

1/ Ask your GP for a RAST test to quantify your reaction.

2/ Based on that (or his reading of the hospital discharge letter) you should be able to get desensitisation therapy. Its a course of injections, initially every week, eventually every couple of years. Once you are on your way with that (some months time) you should be able to relax again.

3/ Ask the GP about an epipen to carry in the meantime.

4/ Meanwhile, take no chances.
Sort out your suit so their aren't entrances for bees. Be sure of wearing long sleeves under your suit, etc.
Might be an idea to try disposable gloves inside marigolds, for two layers plus an airgap.
Get help with your bees. Certainly don't go near them without, at minimum, someone else being aware of what you are doing and expecting to hear back from you at a defined time, if not before - a "buddy" system.
And you could even use a mild bee-repellant on your gloves and suit. (Oil of Cloves has been suggested to me.)
I'd give Association apiary visits a miss until you are sorted out properly. My stings have largely been from other people's bees following until I was un-protected!

I took one nurofen each morning for 3 mornings, last one a week ago. I have heard that ibuprofen could cause problems, could this be the case after this amount of time?

Interesting. Nurofen is ibruprofen = non steroidal anti inflamatory (NSAI)
NSAIs increase reaction to bee venom and are contra indicated before beekeeping.

( Some people have to take NSAIs ... not telling them to stop! )

How many stings?

My tolerance for individual stings has got better over the three years of keeping bees. When I started, getting stung was a major event, lots of swelling, hurt like hell. These days, if I have been sloppy with my gloves, I get one or two on the wrist, no swelling, just a bit itchy for a while.

However, getting lots of stings does have a different effect. I got 14 in the back of the head after some foolish lawnmowing near the hives, and started to come out in a rash/felt tired etc etc. Totally different effect to taking a single hit.

Thanks for the replies. I realise nurofen and ibuprofen are the same that is why I wondered whether this could be the cause after several days. If so will certainly avoid taking if likely to be inspecting bees. As to number it is difficult to see, it felt like an awful lot yesterday, but harder today to pinpoint the actual sting sites. I can only see about 6 on the left arm and 3 on right though it is hard as still quite red and swollen. I got 5 on the palm of left hand but nothing visible today, gloves took the worst of those.

This happened to me two years ago and I gave up my bees as I didnt want to repeat the experience but last year I did a RAST test and started desensitisation treatment. At the end of March this year I bought a nuc from another forum member and things have been going really well. I strongly agree with itma - the treatment is a long term commitment being once a week for 10-12 weeks and then every 6 weeks for 3 years but it's not more than two hours initially and then and hour for the maintenance appointment so it's hardly onerous and if it means that you can safely keep your bees it's worth it.

YOU CAN BE SENSITISED TO BEE VENOM FOR UP TO A MONTH AFTER TAKING IBRUFEN GROUP OF MEDICANTS. That is why I asked you.

So, you have to be very careful and decide if the reaction was caused by you being allergic to bee venom or that the medicine played a role in this case and that it is temporary.

You should NOT have to put up with receiving so many stings, you need to change the genetics in your bees.

Get an epipen and carry it with you, it could save your life.

Thank you again for your replies and advice. This is why I posted this thread, I knew that some of you out there would have some experience , and I wasn't happy with how things were left on discharge. To be told, basically, to wait and see what happens next time I get stung doesn't really seem good enough-not something I am willing to let happen. I am going to make an appointment to see my GP to request a RAST test and see where I go from there. Sorry if I seemed a bit slow on the uptake yesterday Norton, not long since got home and had spent the night listening to a poor old lady in the next bed reciting the Lords Prayer all night, so not on the best form! Thanks again.

I took one nurofen each morning for 3 mornings, last one a week ago. I have heard that ibuprofen could cause problems, could this be the case after this amount of time?

From my experience yes. I had a reaction more than a month after I ceased taking them. I've now stopped all NSAIDS (including Ibuprofen) but other stronger ones I was on.

Adam

Been wondering about stings myself at the moment.

I got both of my hands stung at the weekend. My own fault as went in unprepared and had to go back later for swarm control steps that I hadn't been prepared for and they took offence to having me barge in twice in a day.

Anyway...

the sting on my arm shoulder and right hand (through protective clothing) are completely unexciting and like my usual response to stings, a little bleb and almost entirely settled at 24 hours.

The left hand looks like I am wearing a boxing glove and the swelling has spread to my mid forearm. I'm generally well and the hand is just tight and uncomfortable although movement is very limited.

Why such different responses?

Have almost identical sites of stings at the same time so are some bees (in the same colony) just more stingy that others?

I take daily morphine and have done since I started keeping bees - and I 'over' react every time - in that I swell 3 times my hubby's reaction, get infected every time I get a sting etc. I was checked prior to starting,with the 'no reaction' verdict and the Dr. suggested that they didn't like the morphine smell - All the Drs are now aware of me and my bees (I am the topic of conversation in the staff room apparently)...but was told that until I REALLY react I should keep going...BUT I have never reacted like you...

Latest posts

Back