Hornet buffet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italic63

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hello all,
I did an inspection a week ago and all seemed well. Plenty of fresh and capped brood on at least 8 frames. Lots (LOTS) of bees and a good amount of pollen and nectar so all seems well. I put in a couple of strips of Apivar and closed everything up.
Over the last couple of days I noticed a hornet flying close to the bees and then taking one bee and flying off with it. A few minutes later another hornet (or the same one 🤷🏻) comes along and takes another bee. The bees smothered a few and there are in fact 3 dead hornets on the ground at the base of the hive. My concern is that this seems to go on all day non stop.
What can I do?? Is there the risk that eventually they will kill off the entire family?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sorry I thought you meant the Asian giant hornet. I'm not an expert. These are about 1 inch in length and brown and golden in colour

There is more you can do to to help yourself with this; firstly, no location on your profile. Easier to provide assistance if your location is known & secondly, the threat Asian hornets present to British bees and beekeeping means you should familiarise yourself with the differences between a European Hornet and the Asian Hornet such that you can identify them easily and quickly.

Google is your friend and a quick look on the BBKA website by searching for Asian Hornet uk is a good start

There is more you can do to to help yourself with this; firstly, no location on your profile. Easier to provide assistance if your location is known & secondly, the threat Asian hornets present to British bees and beekeeping means you should familiarise yourself with the differences between a European Hornet and the Asian Hornet such that you can identify them easily and quickly.

Google is your friend and a quick look on the BBKA website by searching for Asian Hornet uk is a good start
Thanks. I will definetely read up on that. I have updated my profile...

Back