Hoping to make a wax melter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mead I made is yucky. Mind you I have no idea what it should taste like....perhaps I will do another demijohn...to compare! I keep hoping it will mature...

I rather fancy making a Pargyle still Kingspan solar melter.

I'm trying to figure out how to stop the glass sliding down when the melter is tilted or blowing off in a summer gale.

Ideas ?

I've never had a problem with it sliding off as the tilt to get the sun does not have to be very much - I usually have mine on an old garden table on the patio and put a piece of 30mm timber under one side to tilt it slightly.

Mine sat out in the recent 'gales' and the glass did not blow off .. bear in mind that the glass is more or less the size of the top of the melter and as the box is sealed (I put a cork in the two holes that let the steam in/out when it's not in use) the wind can't get inside it or under it to blow the glass off.

I suppose in a real gale the whole thing itself might be under risk of blowing over but it's not something I've ever considered.

Well lucky today I manage find two very nice double glazed units to construct a solar wax melter. So its one for me and one for 'Tremyfro' - I'm far two busy at the moment to make mine but will post pictures when I do.

Having tasted my last lot of mead I think that's the only thing I can do with it 😳

Do not go there!
The ethanol produced from mead can cause Finnishstration, rambling on incoherently.. and if a bit of methanol gets taken off from the still... madness!

Yeghes da:cheers2:

Thank you to Nantmoel.....I will be getting a double glazed unit to put on top of my wax melter in the summer ...I am sure we will get some sunshine. Isn't it lovely to have the generous friends on this forum!
I am waterproofing my box in readiness!

Double Glazed Units in Solar Wax Melter

Been there. Done that. I found that the inner sheet always cracks in strong sunlight. Stresses.

Been running a double glazed unit for five years with no problem. Just a sheet of double glazing sitting on top of a large polystyrene food delivery box ( as used by couriers for long distance deliveries). Gets well hot. I put the old wax in a stainless steel baking tray, in which I have drilled holes in one end, over which I put an easily changeable stainless mesh filter. An ice cream tub sits under the holes. Works a treat.

Yeh ... Like the 'Hot Liquid' label on the lid of a MacDonalds coffee ... the heat is probably the least dangerous thing about it ... we are following rapidly the American culture of litigation when common sense fails ... sue.

Actually, the McDonalds story has been unfairly pilloried as an example of US litigation. The facts are quite another thing: http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Actually, the McDonalds story has been unfairly pilloried as an example of US litigation. The facts are quite another thing: http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Yes ... but .. in those days in the USA McD used to sell their coffee in styrofoam cups (which were notoriously flexible) and the plaintiff 'was holding the cup between her legs in order to put the milk and sugar in when the car driver stopped suddenly' ...I know that McD were heavily criticised for the temperature of their coffe and their attitude to the case probably did not help them but ... Like I said earlier ... where is the common sense ???

Yes ... but .. in those days in the USA McD used to sell their coffee in styrofoam cups (which were notoriously flexible) and the plaintiff 'was holding the cup between her legs in order to put the milk and sugar in when the car driver stopped suddenly' ...I know that McD were heavily criticised for the temperature of their coffe and their attitude to the case probably did not help them but ... Like I said earlier ... where is the common sense ???

You didn't read it then ... "Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true."

Been there. Done that. I found that the inner sheet always cracks in strong sunlight. Stresses.

Single sheet of glass is best... paint complete box in matt black... absorbs the solar energy
The glass is there to stop the heat from escaping or a breeze from cooling it.
Advantage of a double glazed unit is you can get 2 sheets of glass from one unit!

One Uni module was to build and test various solar water heaters... forgetting the evacuated tubes that had high efficiency but were expensive to make and had a short life... flat plate units with copper 10mm tube over aluminum back plate with insulated back ( 50mm Kingspan) and single sheets of glass.. all painted matt black... outperformed ones with double glassed cover around 85%

Yeghes da

You didn't read it then ... "Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true."

The point I was making that anyone who holds a styrofoam cup full of hot coffee 'between their knees' wants their brain testing. The 79 year old lady had third degree burns across all of her inner thighs, genitals, perineum and buttocks (6% of her body). Whilst I accept that the car had, allegedly, stopped one does wonder how the hot coffee could be so extensively spread 'trying to get the lid off'. There were, apparently, no burns to her hands.

The final settlement in the case was closed doors so we will probably never know what really happened .. the American legal system is a minefield but what I was trying to get across is that we all have a responsibility to act in a safe and sensible manner and I really don't think the lady was acting in her own best interests ... regardless of what the American courts think.

My grandfather used to make his own black boot polish .. he started out with Dubbin and mixed in something that he called Niger Black ... he used to buy it from the local chemist ...

I suspect that it was what is now called Nigrosine or Solvent Black - it's an aniline based dye ... it was sold in the UK

J.E. Moser's 845135, Finishes, Wood Stains & Dyes, Water Soluble Nigrosine Black Aniline Dye, Package Of 8 Oz: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

But it looks like it's not currently available ... probably the H&S wallers have got their hands on it and it's been banned. More than likely that if you eat enough of it then you will get cancer ....

I worked in the dry cleaning industry for a while and we used to clean and refurbish suede and leather garments .. after coloured suedes were cleaned they lost their colour and returned to their natural skin colour. We used to respray them using liquid leather dyes which we bought in industrial quantities.

Occasionally, we got it wrong and I remember answering the phone to one irate lady who had put in a pink suede jacket and got a green coloured one back ... she knew it was hers from varying distinguishing marks and was not impressed that it was now green. I told her that the cleaning process occasionally caused the dye pigments in garments to change colour and if she returned it to us then we would see if we could resolve the problem ... it went through the cleaning again and we redyed it pink and the lady was happy ... I know - I'll never get to heaven with the lies I've had to tell at times ....

The stuff at Amazon is no longer available. I found this as a wax colourant: [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Bekro-Candle-Making-1gm-2gm/dp/B00N2OYZFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455714456&sr=8-1&keywords=candle+dye+black"]Black Bekro Candle Making Dye. Use at only 1gm-2gm per kilo of wax: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame] - might work.

I had difficulty finding suitable tins to put a polish in. These seem expensive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150ml-Alu...hash=item3a922ee79f:m:mQRkUbleneFnaSuKGZQczjw Are there cheaper alternatives?

CVB

Is there any reason why twin walled polycarbonate won't work?

Latest posts

Back