honey storage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi all,

I have honey stored in a tank just wondered if its best to jar up all of it and gently warm it when required for sale or is it best to leave it in the tank and jar it as I go. Will it crystallize in the tank? It’s not OSR honey.

Thanks

How big is the tank and does it have an air tight lid. I put mine into 15k buckets and use them when required.

The tank is 80Kg with a lid and tap

Cheers

DEPENDS

the forage will determine whether it crystallizes as well as how well you filtered it

i have jar from last year that are not crystallized and half a bucket of filtered honey from this year that is lime tree honey and it is solid, the bucket from the next super extracted is still liquid and is a dark honey...all from the same hive

The tank is 80Kg with a lid and tap

Cheers

If it does go solid do you have means of heating it ? Thats why I store honey in smaller containers that I can deal with.

Might jar it all up easier to warm, I wondered if a reptile vivarium heat mat would work underneath the tank there low watts don’t get hot enough to caramelize the honey?

Might jar it all up easier to warm, I wondered if a reptile vivarium heat mat would work underneath the tank there low watts don’t get hot enough to caramelize the honey?
Yes, heatmats come in all wattages. I use a14watt so dont need a thermostat.Takes a little time but no increase in HMF. Best in an insulated cabinet

Hi all,

I have honey stored in a tank just wondered if its best to jar up all of it and gently warm it when required for sale or is it best to leave it in the tank and jar it as I go. Will it crystallize in the tank? It’s not OSR honey.

Thanks
Get the honey in jars

Best to get it into buckets with a good sealed lid on, can be warmed in the buckets at a later date if needs be.

Latest posts

Back