Honey names?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with the UK honey regulations.......

We have Cornwall Trading Standards accreditation... Product of Cornwall
Kings Orchard
Cornish Black Bee Honey
Really how does one get that? That's a great selling point.

Our business is called The Little Apiary Company Ltd so that's what goes on our jars with honey underneath. If I ever get around to producing chunk honey I'll just change the honey to chunk honey.
That's confidence for you. Setting up a Limited company for 1 hive. Good luck with your expansion plans. :)

Our business is called The Little Apiary Company Ltd so that's what goes on our jars with honey underneath. If I ever get around to producing chunk honey I'll just change the honey to chunk honey.
That's my aim for this year - to make some cut comb and chunk honey. I had a few requests last year but it was too late in the season by that point.

Id never trust putting honey out wirh an honestly box where I live!!!!! Id be devastated after all the work my bees had done to produce it and then get stolen, I like the idea of putting the contact details outside, although I'd be worried in case id get dodgy phone calls. My grandfather used to sell tomatoes and had a sign outside, sold every tomato he produced but they were different times.
No dodgy phone calls so far. This year sometimes I sold all of my next batch before I even got the sign back out!

Sort of I'm not vat registered yet. But any losses from the business can be offset against my income tax.
you'd have to have substantially more of a turnover than frm a handful of hives before you can rewgister for VAT

you'd have to have substantially more of a turnover than frm a handful of hives before you can rewgister for VAT
Is there a stated minimum turnover to voluntarily register for VAT or is this just evidence of a viable business that's needed?

IIRC sole traders can be VAT registered and all business avenues of the individual are then liable/eligible even if it's not the one they may have initially registered with.

EDIT - just realised OP was a Ltd company so above line doesn't apply!

You can register for vat whenever but there is a limit at which you HAVE to register.
doesn't work like that I'm afraid, or we'd have people registering just to get the VAT back on their half dozen hives. A 'voluntary' trader is one who comes below the compulsory threshold and usually needs to register for a sound business reason (usually a food producer who pays VAT on equipment etc but none on sales so benefits from a VAT repayment) allowing registration in these cases is at the discretion of the registering officer, such as a legitimate business which does run at a decent level but will never hit the threshold. It is not a trader's 'right' to become VAT registered if they trade under the thresholds (and let's not talk about icecream franchise holders!!)

doesn't work like that I'm afraid, or we'd have people registering just to get the VAT back on their half dozen hives. A 'voluntary' trader is one who comes below the compulsory threshold and usually needs to register for a sound business reason (usually a food producer who pays VAT on equipment etc but none on sales so benefits from a VAT repayment) allowing registration in these cases is at the discretion of the registering officer, such as a legitimate business which does run at a decent level but will never hit the threshold. It is not a trader's 'right' to become VAT registered if they trade under the thresholds (and let's not talk about icecream franchise holders!!)
Useful info thanks.

Sort of I'm not vat registered yet. But any losses from the business can be offset against my income tax.

Just FYI, if a limited company makes losses, the owners of that company cannot offset those losses against their personal income tax bill.

Just in case that was what you meant? Wouldn't want you to rely on that come tax return time!

Last edited:
We have Cornwall Trading Standards accreditation... Product of Cornwall

Kings Orchard
Cornish Black Bee Honey

Really how does one get that? That's a great selling point.
Firstly we had to have all the TS stuff in place... inspected food processing area... adequate insurances ( public and product liability... Note the BBKA membership free one would not cover it!)
Membership of a professional association ( Beefarmers' Assn in our case)
Apiaries providing the Black bee honey had to be in Cornwall, and DNA analyses to prove the bees were Cornish native black bees was checked
A lot of hoops to jump through... but the little Product of Cornwall sticker is worth its weight in Gold.

So far we are the only beekeepers in Cornwall to have it for our delicious honey.

Chons da

Just FYI, if a limited company makes losses, the owners of that company cannot offset those losses against their personal income tax bill.

Just in case that was what you meant? Wouldn't want you to rely on that come tax return time!
Even as a sole trader ... and offsetting losses from a 'sideline' business against personal tax is a potential nightmare ... The Revenue will crawl all over the accounts and make your life a misery ... been there and got the T-Shirt ... they hate giving tax back and if they get their teeth into something that is not a legitimate deduction it will cost more in accountants fees to fight them than anything you feel you could have claimed. Far better as a small operator to take the tax break available for a 'hobby business' and settlle for that until such time as it develops into a 'business'. Your sales will often be cash sales and you will need to keep records of every jar you sell and so much of beekeeping costs is equipment that goes on the balance sheet you will be lucky to justify losses to offset.

Me ... I still feel the pain and my experience was in a legitimate sideline well over 30 years ago ... I ended up settling because I could not afford to fight any more ...

Contravenes the Honey (England) Regs. 2015: we know what you mean, but not everyone will, which is why the regs. call it honey.

The limited production run so far has been for family use only. The 2021 output might be enough to "spread" as far as being gifted to family and friends. But once I become a melliferous mogul I'll be adhering to all the rules....point noted. :giggle:

Latest posts

Back